More newbie stuff - IOP, IOA and LANs, network server descriptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More newbie stuff - IOP, IOA and LANs, network server descriptions

Back in the day, it wasn't all that difficult to create a line description and a controller for a comm line. Now, however, I find that the AS/400 is a little more complex. For example, when I bought it secondhand, my little model 150 came with a nicely configured ethernet line and controller. As I began to try to configure my new 170, I ran into some interesting issues. For example, what the heck is a network server description? I came real close to just defining one, except that on my model 150 the Ethernet Port is on the File Server IOA, while on the model 170, it's on the LAN Adapter (and there is no File Server IOA). I was going to just create a network server description for the LAN Adapter, but I thought I'd ask a question here first. What is a network server? It seems I have a choice of either just pointing the Ethernet line description directly to the Ethernet Port or using *NWSD as the resource name and defining a network server description that points to the line that the port is on. What are the pros and cons of using *NWSD as the resource name and then creating a network server description that points to the line? Does this have something to do with the NetServer TCP server? And also, what's the deal with the File Server IOA as opposed to the LAN Adapter? My 150 has a type 285A LAN Adapter, but with no comm ports assigned. Instead, the type 2723 Ethernet Port is on the type 2850 File Server IOA, along with a Virtual Port (virtual port? I'm clueless). The LAN Adapter on the model 170 is a type 2838, and so is the Ethernet Port. Okay, I realize this is lots of newbie stuff. Those of you with true hardware experience are probably just laughing your heads off, but I've never been afraid of showing my ignorance . Some answers would be great, and pointers to some in-depth online manuals would be appreciated as well. Thanks a million. Joe

Hi Joe The NWSD (Network Sever Description) is associated with the IPCS (now INS integrated netfinity server). IPCS (Integrated PC Sever) is the card positioned in slots C02 and C04 on the model 170 or E02 and E05 if your system has an expansion tower. Slots C05 and C06 are reserved for the IPCS. Both are LAN slots - C05 is the High speed 100mbs LAN slot. On the 150 Slots 1D 2D for the IPCS. Do a WRKHDWRSC *CMN to establish where your LAN IOAs are located For example we have a model 150 with an IPCS card we get the following: LIN02 2850 Operational File Server IOA CMN02 2838 Operational Ethernet Port CMN03 6B00 Operational Virtual Port LIN03 285A Operational LAN Adapter 2850 and 285A refer to the IPCS and 2838 is a 100/10 mbs LAN IOA. To configure the system for the network you have create a network server description (CMN02 is associated to LIN02). On your 170 you may have additional LAN cards look for LIN0x with feature 2723, 2724 or 2838 in the resource field. LIN02 2838 Operational LAN Adapter CMN02 2838 Operational Ethernet Port If you have an additional LAN card then you can configure TCP/IP in the usual way. e.g. CRTLINETH then CFGTCP etc etc. You have an IPCS. Frirst you need to decide what purpose it will serve e.g. Notes, Netware, OS/2 or NT. When you create your NWSD the parameter Network Server Type will reflect this: *LANSERVER *NETWARE *BASE *WINDOWSNT So first you create a NWSD, then you create a line description. Your line description will use the resource name *NWSD, the network server description contains the name of the network server with which the line is associated and the port on the IPCS to which the line is attached (the physical port location for the 285x IPCS). Commands you may already be familiar with are CRTNWSD and GO NWSADM. Use GO NWSADM to start and stop the network server. If you use your IPCS/INS card for Windows NT much of these configuration tasks are automated, the NWSD is created using information given during the software installation phase. HTH Rgds Mark

Comment

Joe, Manuals you may wish to reference: Setting up your 9401 Model 150 Setting up your 9406 Model 170 AS/400 Information Centre http://as400bks.rochester.ibm.com/pu...infocenter.htm Integrated PC Servers: Integrating AS/400 with Novell NetWare: SC41-5124 Integration Services for the Integrated PC Server: SC41-5123 OS/2 Warp Server for AS/400 Administration: SC41-5423 AS/400 Client Access Host Servers: SC41-5740 OS/400-AS/400 Integration with Windows NT Server: SC41-5439 For Windows NT - there is a good book called 'Implementing Windows NT on the AS/400' published by redbook technical press. Mark

Comment

Whew! Thanks so much for all the information, Mark. I think I'm beginning to understand. Let me see if I have this straight: An IOA is an IPCS card (for example, the 2850 FSIOA - are there others?). I can configure an IPCS card in several ways, using a Network Server Description (NWSD). The CFGNWS menu is the primary route to all things about the NWS. Once I've created and NWSD for the IPCS, I can then move on. For ethernet lines on an IPCS, I point the ethernet line to *NWSD and then specify the resource name for the IPCS and port number for the Ethernet Port. On the other hand, a 2838 LAN Adapter is NOT an IPCS card (is this right?). I don't need to create an NWSD for it, and can just use the CRTETHLINE and CFGTCP to set it up. That being the case, here's a quick look at my configurations (from my notes, unfortunately, since I'm not physically at that location right now): My 150:
        CMB02 (this is the combined multifunction IOP) LIN01 (can't remember) CMN01 (can't remember) LIN02 2850 File Server IOA CMN02 2723 Ethernet Port CMN03 6800 Virtual Port LIN03 285A LAN Adapter
        My 170:
        XXXNN (can't remember even the number, probably CMB02) LIN01 (can't remember) CMN01 (can't remember) LIN02 2838 LAN Adapter CMN02 2838 Ethernet Port
        Sorry about the lack of detail. Like I said, I'm not at that location right now, but I wanted to drop a note anyway. Looking at the configuration, your Model 150 and mine are set up the same way: with a 2850 IOA for LIN02, and the Ethernet and Virtual Ports attached (although my Ethernet Port is type 2723, NOT 2838). There's also a LIN03 for a 285A LAN Adapter, but with no ports. (What is this used for?) Finally, my model 170 looks like it doesn't have any IPCS cards at all. It just has the 2838 LAN Adapter. That being the case, I don't need any NWSD whatsoever and can just configure the ethernet line using CRTETHLINE and CFGTCP. Whew again! Am I close here? Joe

Comment

IOA is just another acronym stands for Input Output Adapter So its pretty much any card on the AS/400. IOP stands for Input Output Processor - like the MFIOP is the Multi-Function Input Output Processor, they look after the IOAs. You are right in saying that once the NWSD is created you would point the ethernet line description to *NWSD the previous CRTNWDS looks after the resource name for the IPCS as this is specified here. #2838 is a 100/10 Ethernet card and not an IPCS (the IPCS features are 2850 and 285A - 285A LAN Adapter this is the resource name that is associated with the IPCS but looks after the network part. On your 150 You need to create a NWSD (Look for the 285x File Server IOA) use resource LIN02 in this case and select the network server type. Then create the line description specifying *NWSD in the resource field You are correct that in the case of the 170 the 2838 is an independent LAN feature (not dependent on an IPCS - so you could just run CRTLINETH and use CMN02 as the resource name and create your TCP/IP interfaces CFGTCP as per usual. Vitual ports - from what I understand emulate a LAN under the covers e.g. a make believe network connection between the IPCS (Intel Chipset) and the MFIOP My understanding on the 285A is that this has something to do with the virtual port (I think its the IPCS bridge card) the card is 2 part, one part has ports which show at the back of your AS/400 the bridge card has no ports. Your final statement is also right - your 170 does not have an IPCS from the info you have included here, so yes you dont need a NWSD. HTH Rgds Mark

Comment

Alrightie, then. Thanks a million for your help, Mark. This has been most enlightening. I'll try everything tonight or tomorrow and let you know. One quick question: If understand you correctly, even if I don't have an additional LAN Adapter, I can use my IPCS as an NT server and it will also support the Ethernet Port, right? Just making sure. Joe

Comment

Joe, Correct - but if the NWSD is varied off your AS/400 will not be on the network. NT and the AS/400 can share the same IOA but you can have more than one IP address assigned to the card. This is configured when you install NT e.g. you specify the IP for the AS/400 and also the IP for Windows NT. A third IP is also generated the virtual Token Ring IP supporting traffic between the two. On a model 170 it is recommended to have two LAN cards (this way you can vary off the NWSD - shutdown NT without effecting AS/400 users) one dedicated to the IPCS alone. Mark

Comment

Okay. Well, I'll get the 170 up and running first, and then figure out if I want to play with the IPCS card on my 150. It's working as is, so I may just follow the old maxim, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Joe

Comment

Joe, Quick point about IPCS cards - the earlier cards did not support windows NT. Did your 150 come with a black splitter cable? If you look at the back - card slots D1 D2 and E2 E2 you should see the IPCS card with two ports. The cards that support NT have one port for the VDU screen and one port for the splitter cable (looks like a standard comm port). The splitter cable itself has keyboard, mouse and 1 serial port on one end and printer port on the other. Mark

Comment

Thanks, Mark. I'll check when I get home (that's where my 150 lives). Joe

Comment

Okay, it's late, but I thought I'd pass on one bit of information: the system is up and running. I configured my ethernet line and everything is hunky and dory. I should really make a list of what happened... I'll try to do that before I go to sleep. The worst snag was the QAUTOVRT system parameter. Everything was up and running, but I still couldn't TELNET in. Then, after a bit of looking around, I wandered into CFGTCP and the TELNET application configuration, and there it was. I love this machine, I really do. It may be a complex little bugger, but it certainly tries its best to help you get your job done. Joe

Comment

Yep - the fact that you had issues with the Telnet server starting is probably down to security, often Telnet is started only when required. As you pointed out you can change the attributes of TCP/IP applications from the CFGTCP menu - changing autostart server to *YES. I find these servers easier to administor using Ops Navigator, but I guess thats personal choice: Network - Servers - TCPIP then right click for properties. System Value QSTRUPPGM looks after starting TCPIP after an IPL, generally this is QSTRUP in library QSYS - by default it issues the command STRTCP but you can also edit this to start only the TCPIP servers that you require. Thats another story though and there are loads of helpful threads on this topic in the forum. By the way Joe I found your points in the spam thread touching - I have learnt much from threads that you have contributed to in the past and the beauty of this forum is that you dont have to post a question to learn loads of usefull stuff. Iv'e been with the AS/400 just two years, so there are times when i'm sure glad to be part of this community. Rgds Mark

Comment

Working...
                        X