AS/400 TELNET Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AS/400 TELNET Problem

I have a weird problem regarding telnet on the AS/400. I have 2 AS/400s connected via WAN. From an AS/400 command line: From Machine-B, I can telnet and strpasthr to Machine A. From Machine-A, I can only strpasthr to Machine B. Telnet just gives me the following message: Message ID . . . . . . : TCP3427 Severity . . . . . . . : 10 Message . . . . : Remote host system rejected the open attempt. Cause . . . . . : This may have occurred because the remote host does not have ports available for use or does not support TELNET. Recovery . . . : Try the request again or contact the system administrator. Sadly, I am the system administrator. Funny thing is, from the DOS prompt, I can telnet to both machines! Does anybody have any idea what is going on here?

AS/400 TELNET Problem

Try the command STRTCPSVR *ALL. I've hit this before and cleared it up by running the command. I've been told all the servers are supposed to start with STRTCP. But it appears something hangs up all the port assignments somewhere in startup. HTH. Regards.

Comment

AS/400 TELNET Problem

Do You have an exit program active on Machine B? It could be that you are clocking access by IP address. jte

Comment

AS/400 TELNET Problem

Already tried this. Also tried STRHOSTSVR *ALL. No solution in sight yet.

Comment

AS/400 TELNET Problem

We do not have an exit program for TELNET.

Comment

AS/400 TELNET Problem

OK.... Is there a piece of network equipment (router, or firewall) between the two AS/400's that is not between your PC and the two AS/400's? Just Guessing.... you havent given us a lot to go on here. jte MC Security Editor

Comment

AS/400 TELNET Problem

Actually, we have 9 remote AS/400s scattered all over the country. Each AS/400 is attached via Ethernet LAN card to an NT server. Originally, all LANs are connected to the head office either through SDLC leased lines or else dial-ups. We use APPC/SNADS extensively. Recently, we converted 1 leased-line and 3 dial-ups to Frame Relay. Conversion is pretty simple. We disconnected the SDLC router (if present). Next, we hooked up the local LAN to the FRAD which linked us to the Frame Relay network. Configuration is more involved. Enable ANYNET via CHGNETA ALWANYNET(*YES). Vary-off, delete and recreate the APPC controllers/devices to link type *ANYNW. Lastly, add the following host name to the TCP HOST Table: "as400name.APPN.SNA.IBM.COM" (where as400name is the AS/400's system name) There were no changes in our existing distribution queues and configuration lists. It is this fourth conversion that has problems. It used to have a dial-up connection. But I compared and could not find any differnece in the configurations between this and the last 2 AS/400 which were also dial-ups. You asked if there is any equipment between the AS/400s that is not between my PC and the 2 AS/400s. The answer is no. The 2 AS/400s share the same segment in a router. My PC has to go through several routers just to get to their segment. I hope this is detailed enough cuz my fingers are beginning to ache.

Comment

AS/400 TELNET Problem

Did you Run NETSTAT to makesure the telnet server(s) is running?

Comment

AS/400 TELNET Problem

John, Jack, and Greg, I got it! After John asked about the intervening devices, I began to ping for AS/400-B from different nodes. All but one (our resident AS/400-A) connected! Then, from AS/400-A, I found that I could ping and telnet successfully if I used the actual IP address. Whereas when I pinged with the system name, an erroneous IP address was being used. So I immediately re-examined the AS/400's tcp/ip host table very carefully. I found 2 entries for the same system name. The first entry had the erroneous IP address. Deleting this entry fixed the problem. It has been 3 late lonely nights that I have been working on this. It was great having you guys to talk about my problem. Thank you very much!

Comment

Working...
                  X