Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems FTPing from IFS to a Network Drive.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems FTPing from IFS to a Network Drive.

I am having trouble FTPing from the IFS to a PC network server and was wondering if anyone else ran into this problem. There are many work arounds for this situation, but I am just annoyed that I can't get this working. That said, here we go: I have a CSV file in an IFS directory(/TMP). I need to copy(FTP) this file to a PC network drive(Novell). The PC network drive is mapped to many different drive letters by the users who need to access this file. I have written the following FTP script file in an attempt to process this transfer: open xx.xx.xx.xx anonymous anonymous lcd \chgo10userfinancesalesdatcurrent quote rcmd call qgpl/crtcusmas CD /tmp get customermasterfile.txt close quit Everything works until I hit the"get" and receive the following message: Error opening local file customermasterfile.txt. > customermasterfile.txt:No Such file or directory The file does exist in the /tmp directory(LS and DIR). It seems that LCD and NAMEFMT 1 don't work well with each other. If I remove the LCD from the above, the file gets copied correctly to my c:windowsdesktop. If I leave the LCD and use NAMEFMT 0(QGPL/CUSTMAST), the file gets correctly copied to The PC server(\chgo10userfinancesalesdatcurrent). I am evoking this file from a shortcut icon with the cmd line of : c:windowsftp.exe -s:\chgo10userfinancesalesdatcurrentxfer.txt Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

I had a similar problem trying to ftp files to the AS400 from the PC. I experimented a little and this is what I found. Set NAMEFMT to 1 in the very beginning in the list of your ftp commands. This may work. My feeling is the NAMEFMT was set to 0 and hence it may have failed with the cd /tmp command and was trying to find find your file 'CustomerMasterfile.txt' from QGPL. What does your log say?

Comment

Hi Eli, thanks for responding. I did put a "quote site namefmt 1" right after the password and still received the message in my DOS window : Error opening local file customermasterfile.txt. > customermasterfile.txt:No Such file or directory The command I use to set the namefmt before was the "CD /". The system automatically puts you in namefmt 1 when you execute this command, but it was worth trying to force the namefmt at the beginning of the script. What I get confused on in the error message is that the system appears to be looking locally for the file and not on the AS/400. Unless I can find a "silly" mistake in my script file, it would seem that IFS to LCD transfers don't work.

Comment

Robert - Error opening local file customermasterfile.txt. > customermasterfile.txt:No Such file or directory "What I get confused on in the error message is that the system appears to be looking locally for the file . . .: As evidenced by "Error opening local file", the system IS looking for the file locally - it's trying to create a new file called 'customermasterfile.txt'. Either you do not have enough authority to create the new file on the server or the server doesn't allow such long file names as "customermasterfile.txt" or the directory name you specified is incorrect. Is the first character in 'lcd \chgo10userfinancesalesdatcurrent' a 'one' or an 'ell'? Is 'chgo10' a server name? If not, what's with the '' on the front? Is '' valid on the 'cd' or 'lcd' command? HTH, Steve

Comment

Hi Steve, thanks for the response. The \chgo10 is the server I wish to transfer too and lcd works with it fine, if not in namefmt 1. What I am really trying to do is a 3rd party transfer. The pc(win98) is executing the command that will FTP a file from the AS/400(ifs @ v4r3) to a Novell pc server(\chgo10). I can get the file transferred to the server if I use namefmt 0(qgpl/custmast). I can get the file transferred to the local pc(c:windowsdesktop) if I drop the lcd. If I touch the ifs(namefmt 1 or cd /) with the lcd, the transfer will fail.. I guess what I am trying to do might be out of the ordinary and there are work arounds, but I still think the script should work. Please let me know if you see anything else. Thanks.

Comment

Steve, your email did strike a nerve. I never tested the FTP transfer with a "to file" of 8.3. The following line worked: Get customermasterfile.txt custmast.txt It appears that the target Novell server only like 8.3 names, which is interesting, since I can drag any size file name from my local desktop to that same drive. The FTP client I am using is c:windowsftp.exe . I now need to determine if it?s the Novell server or the FTP program that has the limitation. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
            X