TELNET & Client Access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TELNET & Client Access

I have an AS/400 connect to the internet through a router/firewall(basic protection). I just installed Client Access using TCP with the PC5250 workstation access. To get the workstation running you need the TELNET server running. Does this not also open up the AS/400 to hackers??? If this is true how are companies connecting client access when the network is also connected to the internet?

TELNET & Client Access

I would darn sure recommend SSL transmissions with C/A Express. You are operating wide open if you are not using SSL. Hackers can see your data being transmitted including the user and password. As far as securing your Intranet, that is out of my experience. I am sure someone with LAN knowledge will respond. HTH Scott

Comment

TELNET & Client Access

Use port 992 for Telnet rather than port 23. If you have a firewall restrict port 23 from all outside transmissions. This should effectively block unsecure Telnet. Port 992 is usually used for SSL Telnet. Dave

Comment

TELNET & Client Access

Since he as400 is on your network and the network is attached to the net you might want to look at a company called RedCreek. The product we use is RAVLIN and it includes some hardware and software at teh host site and then software on your home PC. With it I can log on to the internet and then create a secure tunnel to the network and then use C/A to log on to the AS400. it is relatively inexpensive and we have had no problems to date (about 1 year). I think it is www.redcreek.com. Doesn't hurt to look. Bill

Comment

Working...
        X