Ethernet connect to AS/400 with only twinax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethernet connect to AS/400 with only twinax

We are looking to add ethernet connection for PC's for internet access, and I am looking for away to remove the emulation cards form the PC's, but need to have access to the AS/400. All PC's are running Windows 98. The AS/400 is a model 200 running OS/400 V3R2M0. We just extended our lease on the AS/400 for another year instead of getting a new one, management does not want to put any more money into the AS/400. Is there some way I can setup one PC with the emulation card and the ethernet card and share the AS/400 connection.

Tim, I am confused by the phrase "share the connection". I know of no way to have an ethernet card connect to a 400 via a twinax cable. There might be a way to have an ethernet card connect to a 400 with only twinax capability. It would involve getting a communications box like a 5494 that has both ethernet and twinax connections, but this is more money than just buying an ethernet card for the 400. Just for kicks, you may want to call around to hardware brokers and check out the price of an ethernet card for you model. You and your bosses may be surprised at the price. Bill

Comment

Yes you can. I did this a few years ago so that I may have a backup twinax connection whenever we encounter LAN connection problems. It merely required a modest memory upgrade. Some additional tweaking may be required, depending on the requirements of your emulation board. But if you don't have such a problem, why bother? Nowadays, we simply replace the emulation card with the ethernet card. You can connect to the AS/400 and the Internet using just the ethernet card. Of course, your AS/400 must have an ethernet connection. If not, I suggest you seriously look into this. The price difference between ethernet and emulation cards may be enough to justify this.

Comment

Ricardo, Thank you for your response. We all ready have several PC's with emulation cards and are planning to add network cards. I am looking for a way to remove the emulation cards from the PC's but still connect them to 400, which probably be replaced next year. So putting ethernet on the 400 is really not an option. I just would to know how I can setup a PC as a gateway to the 400, for the next year.

Comment

There are products out there that allow 1 PC to be a gateway to the AS/400. We have a Micro-Intergration gateway card in a pc that allows us to connect 7 other pc's via the network using Netbeui. 1 draw back was having to use micro's emulator on the PC's. I believe that BOSS also has a gateway product.

Comment

Working...
          X