How about some

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about some

Would someone be kind enough to explain, in layman's terms, what "routes" and "gateways" are and how they affect TCP/IP communications? Especially the concept of the "default gateway". Here's my scenario: when I log into my client's network, part of the logon procedure does some ROUTE statements, and also it seems to change the default gateway to a computer on their LAN. The net effect seems to be that my DSL line is now out of the loop, and all my TCP/IP traffic now has to go through the (28.8KB) connection to that LAN. Is this normal? Is there a reason to set the default gateway that way? There are also a bunch of ROUTE entries in the list that point things to that LAN. I'm not sure why you have to change the gateway, or even what the gateway does. Any simple explanation would be nice. Also appreciated would be a link to a good beginner's tutorial on this stuff. As you can tell, I'm at that point where I don't know enough to even know what I don't know. Joe

How about some

Joe, That's called "I don't know, squared".

Comment

How about some

Joe, I found this site http://www.webopedia.com/ it is basically an "Online Computer Dictionary" HTH Chris

Comment

How about some

Another good site is http://www.whatis.com Justin

Comment

How about some

Joe; You can think of gateways, routers and hubs in the following context: gateways know at least two protocols and at least 1 sub-net mask routers know at least one sub-net mask hubs are dumber than 3-way light switches HTH bobh

Comment

How about some

a pretty hefty question! your computer is 192.168.1.56 mask 255.255.255.0 1) ip classifications of A,B,C,D since the mask is 255.255.255.0 you are class C and can see any other computer on the network that is 192.168.1.x ( because of subnet ). if you were mask 255.255.0.0 you would be class B and can see any other computer on your network with a 192.168.x.x address. and A for mask 255.0.0.0 you would see any other computer on your network with a 192.x.x.x address. 2) typically must networks are "subnetted" as class B or C and hence routing. If you again are 192.168.1.56 mask 255.255.255.0 and need to talk to the AS/400 in rochester with a 192.168.4.14 mask 255.255.255.0 address you must be routed to it because you cannot see anything but 192.168.1.x. 3) your "default gateway" must be something on your own subnet you can see. hence 192.168.1.x mask 255.255.255.0 this can be a router, multi homed pc or whatever device that performs the connectivity function. 4) the router "forwards" your packet to routes it is aware of. There is a router on the other end for the AS/400 to connect with on the 192.168.4.x mask 255.255.255.0 segment. The two routers may be connected by ISDN, T1, Frame ... whatever. They see each other. And by seeing each other they have routes written into them by how they know each individual subnet. your machine does not know where the AS/400 is. But sends a request to 192.168.4.14. Since there is no route in your computer it is forwarded to the default gateway (router 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 you can see) the router knows how to get to the segment 192.168.4.x and does the work for you and forwards the packet. Always remember that 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 is the default route. So if no other is listed then this is the choice. and the default gateway for this route is the last resort. On a win pc in a DOS prompt type "route print" your first listing should be the default route and what interface the packet is going out on. This interface should be an ethernet adapter ip address( if LAN ) or ISP assigned ip modem( if dialup ). The destination will be the "network" you are trying to reach (192.168.4.x) again if not listed the default will be used. And the gateway ip by which to get there. In my experience the biggest problems come from a computer that has an ethernet connection and modem connection to the Internet. Everything works fine until the pc is connected to the internet via the modem. Then the default route changes and you can no longer see WAN addresses within the Intranet. Why? because the default gateway is still pointing to the internet even after the modem connection is closed. Within the "route" command you have "route add", "route delete" to teach the computer how to get to the destination network. another good pc DOS utility is "tracert" or trace route. this will show you the hops (routers) a packet must bounce through from you to the destination host. This is really just the beginning but hope it helps! Dan

Comment

How about some

Alright, I'm going to try and print the route prior to logging into the client network and after, then comparing them and see what's what. It's no big deal right now, because I'm waiting for the DSL to be installed here at the new Maison du Zappie, but thanks for the tips. Joe

Comment

Working...
              X