screen scraping a unix application on the as/400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• screen scraping a unix application on the as/400

I have users who use a UNIX application, via their PC with VT100 terminal emulation. (TELNET) I would like to automate the whole process on the AS/400 so that the signon process and keystrokes used in the application are automated on the AS/400. In other words I have to do some sort of screen scraping. For example, I know that you could screen scrape 3270 using SNA Upline facility by creating a line description, a host controller description , a device description for SNUF and by using an ICF file to handle system to system data transfer in your program. The systems are connected via TCP/IP. Please help... What do I have to do to implement the same in this case?

SNUF is available on the AS/400, but I'm unaware of any screen scraping capabilities. For more info on TELNETing in to the AS/400 from UNIX sessions, go to http://www.starquest.com . You could also use IBM's Host-on-Demand for AS/400 access through a Java-Enabled browser. Dave

Comment

If you are able to telnet from the AS/400 to the Unix server then one possibility would be to use the Virtual Terminal APIs. You could have your application program open a virtual terminal session under a *usrprf that had an initial program invoking telnet and then screen scrape the telnet session within your application program. I did just do a quick feasibility test (telneting from a virtual terminal session) and the approach did work. What you would be seeing in your application program would be 5250 data stream as the VT data stream would be converted to/from 5250 by the telnet code.

Comment

Thanks Bruce for your comments. I think your idea is the correct approach. I am nhowever having some issue. Help please..... Do you or anyone have sample RPG that incorporated virtual terminal API'S. I have tried using the API's as described in the IBM API manual, without much success. I am trying to establish a telnet session with an RS600 so that i can screen scrape. I have been able to use the QTVOPNVT to open a session, but when i try to read directly after, using QTVRDVT, I get CPF87f3 (buffer length invalid.). I have included a brief section of my code. What am I doing wrong? Is the concept correct?

Comment

Working...
        X