CA Express dial-up TCP/IP via PPP from Windows 98 - poor response

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA Express dial-up TCP/IP via PPP from Windows 98 - poor response

I connect to several clients' As/400s using this technique, and have for some time. While this normally serves very well, and with excellent response, it frequently goes to sleep for periods of from one to twenty seconds. During this period there is no comm traffic (as indicated by the icon in the system tray), but the input inhibited indicator is on. The requested function may be as negligible as an F9-retrieve-command. It seems worse on V4R4 and later, but that could be my imagination. It seems worse on Client Access Express (vs. old CA), but that could be my imagination, too. PTFs are up to date, and matching version (and service pack) of CA Exp is used. It is unrelated to overall load on the system. I have tried various settings for the MTU, and input/output buffers as suggested by IBM. All of these systems use TCP/IP over LANs for normal workstation traffic with excellent results. All assistance warmly appreciated. 11/17/2000 - Moved topic from Client Access category. Surely the right people just haven't seen the question.

Cameron, Although I have not yet taken the plunge to install the Express Client on my home PC, I have used the 95/NT client for some time, and have experienced varying results as well. Factors which may come into play include the processor load on the target machine, phone line quality, memory availibilty in the pool your AS400 session resides, the type and compatibility of modems you are dialing into, and others. Another possibility is that the client systems are not up to date on its level of C/A software. Communications over a modem are often fickle, and there is rarely a silver bullet. Sorry if I this doesn't help.

Comment

Stanley - Thanks for the stab. I have pretty much eliminated those items through controlled testing. The exception is memory pools; the interactive job is not the problem, but there are other parts to the job in QSYSWRK, etc. Keep thinking of me. I appreciate the help.

Comment

Working...
      X