Networking address change - a Road Map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Networking address change - a Road Map

I could really use some help on this one. Just yesterday, I was given a 'last minute' inclusion into the fact that our company is changing it's network addressing to a private scheme. Currently, we are on a 97.x.x.x type addressing. Everything has a static address. AS/400, Unix box, PCs etc... My situation is this, they will be sitching it to something like a 27.x.x.x scheme, I'm assuming still static. Does anyone have a 'Road Map' aka checklist, of things to check and change so that I can do this smoothly? Unfortunately, with less than a week to prepare for this, I really haven't been given the time to research all that needs to be checked or looked at to make this switch. In a nutshell, what I'd like to get accomplished when this happens... -Change the System Name, Server Domain Name, Local Control Point Name, Default Local Location to a difinitive name (Something besides the 'S10xxyzzz') I believe I can change all this with the CHGNETA. -Configure the TCP/IP to accept the IP changes so that I won't have to go through all this if they change the IP address again. As in, reference my box as 'HOST.AS400' or something meaningful that would allow me to (in the future) open up to an intranet usage and have them just enter 'HOST.AS400' on the browser address and find the box. (Domain Name Opt 12 on TCP Config menu?) -Configure SMTP to send e-mail messages (system problem notifications) from the AS/400 to the on-call person so that problems can be attended to on weekends/holidays. (Is this possible?) I know this seems rash, but hey I wasn't asked about this, was just told at the last minute... (Hmmm.. has any other system guys ever had that done before? ) Any help on the above situations or things that I haven't thought about to check would be GREATLY appreciated. Rick (Just remember, 2 wrongs don't make a right, but 3 rights, make a left!)

Networking address change - a Road Map

-Change the System Name, Server Domain Name, Local Control Point Name, Default Local Location to a difinitive name (Something besides the 'S10xxyzzz') I believe I can change all this with the CHGNETA. I think changing names is going to add a lot of confusion to the conversion. Do it simply, then later if you really want to do this, do it after everything is working. Besides, IMO, it's overkill. -Configure the TCP/IP to accept the IP changes so that I won't have to go through all this if they change the IP address again. As in, reference my box as 'HOST.AS400' or something meaningful that would allow me to (in the future) open up to an intranet usage and have them just enter 'HOST.AS400' on the browser address and find the box. (Domain Name Opt 12 on TCP Config menu?) Or, do it simpler and initiate DHCP. This protocol assigns IP addresses to requesting stations that don't have a static address. Exactly what you really are wanting to do. The way we have it here is with DHCP, -but- we have assigned a static IP address to certain stations (AS/400, etc.). Bill

Comment

Working...
    X