TCP/IP LAN and dial-up problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TCP/IP LAN and dial-up problems

Hi, I've a small ethernet-based TCP/IP network with three PCs and a new AS/400 running OS/400 V4R5M0. I'm using fixed TCP/IP addresses in the LAN, in the order of 120.43.28.xxx, subnet mask 255.255.255.0 Is it possible to get dial-up to my ISP running at the same time as my TCP/IP LAN connection? At the moment I can only get one or the other to work on a Win98 (SE) PC, but not both at the same time. To switch from one mode to the other, I have to reconfigure the PC by removing the LAN support. Any help is much appreciated...I've been at this for days! Thanks in advance, Liam.

You might be able to use NetGear Router/modem; You'll have to change your IP numbers to a non-transportable value -- say 192.0.0.xxx. this works for me with W9X, NT and LINUX on the same circuit. bobh

Comment

Thanks for the reply Bob. I'm not sure I understand. Maybe I can make my problem a bit clearer though... 1. Started with a stand-alone Win98 PC with dial-up to internet via ISP 2. Added an ethernet card 3. From the PC, could then see other PCs on the network via Windows Explorer 4. Could still dial-up to the internet from the PC 5. Added TCP/IP to the ethernet card, and set a specific address for the LAN 6. Can see other PCs on the network via Windows Explorer 7. Can ping the other PCs on the network, and the AS/400 on the network 8. Have lost the connection to the internet Seems like Win98 is getting confused between the local and the internet TCP/IP bindings... What I ultimately want is TCP/IP over my ethernet from my workstation, and a dial-up to the internet from my workstation, all at the same time. Can it be done? Thanks, Liam

Comment

Hi, You can have both the options. Add dialup adapter in the network adapters and configure the ISP dial up option on this dialup adapter. Now for ISP connection it will use the dialup adapter and your NIC for local network. Regards Rajesh

Comment

I would think if you want to have a dial up connection to the internet then you would need a router that supports dialing. It could then dial the internet connection and your pc's could use the lan to get to it and the business system at the same time. With the advent of high speed internet solutions coming out it might be worth while checking into one of those for cost if that's a factor. hth Shawne

Comment

Working...
          X