Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows ME locks when trying to access QDLS folder.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows ME locks when trying to access QDLS folder.

I am trying to open the QDLS folder from a PC running Windows ME. Everytime I try to open the folder, the computer locks. Everything works fine using Windows 98. Any ideas? Thanks for the help!

I am trying to open the QDLS folder from a PC running Windows ME. Everytime I try to open the folder, the computer locks. Everything works fine using Windows 98. Any ideas? Thanks for the help! Go back to Windows/98. ME is atrocious. My opinion. Joe

Comment

Joe Pluta wrote: Go back to Windows/98. ME is atrocious. My opinion. I more or less disagree with that Joe. I like ME better because it boots faster, it shutsdown without requiring me to press in and hold the power off button, my Internet connection seems faster (which is very important considering I'm using an ISP that apparently connects to the Internet via a tin can and a piece of string) and so far, my PC has not crashed once since I installed it several weeks ago. With Windows 98, my PC was crashing, at a minimum, once a day. However...ME won't let me type anything into a DOS window unless I first turn of the multi-media buttons on my HP keyboard. Annoying, but not a killer. And I've found that when I modify the AUTOEXEC.BAT file and reboot, that formatting is not preserved. Again, minor, but annoying when I have to do it (which is seldom). Overall though, I'd highly recommend Windows ME. So far...I'll let you know for sure after I've used it for a few more months.

Comment

I have asked the Netserver guru at IBM why this happens with Windows ME. Hopefully they'll get back to me today or Monday with some feedback on it. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

VAJ2.0 doesn't install... why? Because MS changed the way you allocate environment variable space. The /e: switch that has worked since forever no longer works. You can't format a system disk using the /S parameter. Why? Because MS removed that capability. What really, really frosts me about ME is that once again, Microsoft purposely made it non-backwards compatible with 98, when they just as easily could have left it compatible. Why? To force upgrades to new software, and make other vendors' software not work. Period. In my opinion, ME is a piece of trash and I can't stand it. And as to stability, install old-style Client Access (V3R2M0). Then have it auto-logon to the AS/400 using your Windows user and password. The machine will lock up tighter'n a frog at forty fathoms. Pure, unadulterated garbage - typical MS crap. Which may be why I am so pleasantly surprised - almost astounded - at the seeming rock-stability of Windows 2000 (my nightmare rebuild because of a blown motherboard notwithstanding).

Comment

Joe, when you beat around the bush like this, no one can tell what you really think :-) So far I haven't had the kinds of problems you mention with ME. Not to say I won't, but so far... W2K seems like a good package but it whacked my PC big time when I attempted to install it last summer. I'm gun shy of that product now. Maybe if I ever buy a PC that has it preinstalled... "...tigher'n a frog at forty fathoms..."??? Now that's clever! Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Thanks Shannon! I appreciate your help.

Comment

Jim - We have been running Windows ME for months without the problem you are discribing. After installing ME and CA Express we simply mapped a network drive to the QDLS and told ME to reconnect at logon. We have full view and access to it. You can do the same thing to other libraries. Just make sure the TCP/IP and Netserver is setup correctly. IBM has a guide that steps you thru the process some where. I can't remember the name because it's been so long ago. But ME is not the problem. Like I said we've been running it for months because in our experience ME is very, very stable and just hasn't crashed. At least in our experience.

Comment

In case anyone was still wondering about this...I'm playing phone tag (via email) trying to get someone to answer this question. I'll post the response if and when I ever get someone in Rochester to answer it directly rather than pushing it off on someone else.

Comment

I'm the developer working on AS/400 NetServer and I have a couple of questions for you. What is the version of the AS/400 that you are attempting to access, how many documents and folders do you have in QDLS, and what is the version of Client Access, if any, you are using. This will help us to determine the next step.

Comment

We are running V4R3 on our AS/400. There are approximately 60 folders under QDLS and maybe 200 files. We have Client Access Express V4R4M0 Service Level SF64474. It's my understanding that Netserver is a seperate entity from Client Access. Is that true? Hope this information will help us determine our problem. Thanks.

Comment

Client Access uses AS/400 NetServer for file and print serving, but it is separate from Client Access in the sense that it is part of the base operating system of the AS/400. QDLS is a slower file system to access to begin with. May I ask if you have the attribute set on Explorer (under folder options) to view as web pages? If so, turn that off and see if it improves your performance. If not, I suggest you contact your service provider and get some traces of the communications path activity and submit those. Is QDLS the only file system you have the problem with or do other file systems in the integrated file system pose the same problem?

Comment

After I switched from CA to CA Express, I had to use Netserver to access IFS folders. But I had problems with my Win 95 PC locking randomly (it did not always happen at the same folder or file, although it did not take long to lock up). I then had to power cycle my PC to unlock it. This also happened on several other PCs. IBM support told me to try it on a clean install on one of these PC's. So I borrowed a hard drive and did a clean install of Win 95, and all worked OK. A clue! It turned out that what I needed to do to make the existing PCs work was to remove Windows networking, and then add it again. Then the lockups stopped. It has been a while, and I forget whether I had to remove everything in Windows networking, or just some part. Perhaps this will also work in Win ME.

Comment

Working...
                          X