AS/400 routing questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AS/400 routing questions

I have two AS/400's. One is an AS/400 web server, and one is an AS/400 database server. I also have a firewall that sits between the two AS/400's. The web server uses interface x.x.1.1. The data base server uses interface x.x.3.1. I have defined the ports that need to be opened in the firewall between x.x.1.1 and x.x.3.1. The web server passes transactions to the database server. The database server processes the transactions and then passes the transaction back to the web server. This works great when there is one interface on each machine. I want to add another interface on each machine: x.x.1.2 for the web server, and x.x.3.2 for the database server. Is there any way to guarantee which interface is used in the AS/400 routing? Assigning a preferred interface to the route was suggested, but it doesn't seem to be the solution. Here is what I am seeing. I have users that access the web server on x.x.1.1, and then the transaction gets passed to x.x.3.1. The transaction gets processed and then sometimes returns on x.x.1.2. I need the transactions to always return on x.x.1.1. Any suggestions? Thanks, Annette

AS/400 routing questions

I may be wrong Annette, but it seems that you may be trying to configure something at the network level to solve a problem that should be handled at the application level.  It makes me question your application design.  The box you call your web server must be running one or more applications that act as clients to one or more applications on the box you call your database server.  Can you tell us a little more about the client and server applications involved?  Do the clients explicitly connect to a server IP address and attempt to keep the connection alive during the transaction response cycle?

Nathan.

Comment

AS/400 routing questions

The only way to make sure a message is sent to a particular interface is to have different network numbers for each interface. Each interface has ip addresses and mask assigned to it. If a system has an interface with ip addresses of 10.1.1.1 and another interface with 10.1.1.2, both with a mask of 255.255.0.0, then you are saying that network 10.1 is attached to both interfaces. You are telling the system that it can use either interface to send a message to a device with an address of 10.1.#.#. If you want to require a particular interface then you must assign them seperate network numbers.

Comment

Working...
      X