AS/400 Netserver -vs- NT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AS/400 Netserver -vs- NT

We converted a large quantity of CAD/CAM drawings from an old NT server to the AS/400 Netserver. The conversion went fine and they have been using the Netserver without really any problems. We went through a large number of network upgrades recently and now the Netserver is giving us fits. I think it's a network issue, but the network people are trying to blame the AS/400. I don't know enough about the NT world to help resolve the issue. The following statement is from the network administrator. Any responses to this would be greatly appreciated... Thanks, Scott ----------------------------------- Network administor says: I believe I may have figured out where our problem may be; the Windows NT architecture builds from the NDIS up to the protocols up to the file system drivers. I know our NIC's are fine, I know our NIC drivers are fine, we're running TCP/IP for our default protocol, I attempted to run the DLC protocol which is specifically for IBM host system servers such as the AS400, it had no bearing on our specific issue. The next layer is the TDI layer, it allows the Redirector and the Server Services to remain independent of the protocols and also is the boundary layer that provides a common programming interface for the file system drivers. Since the AS400 utilizes a Integrated File System (IFS), I believe this is where our packets are being confused. If a NT workstation requests data on a NT server, the ntfs.sys file system driver is involved in servicing this request. The I/O manager controls file system drivers. I/O manager can store files locally on a hard disk, using a file system driver such as ntfs.sys, or on a remote networked computer using the Redirector file system driver. In the Windows NT network architecture, file system drivers are located above the TDI and allow user-mode applications to access system resources, such as a read call from an I/O operation to an NTFS partition, or a read call to a remote resource that uses the Workstation Redirector Service. The problem I am thinking is that an AS400 is; 1) Running an Integrated File System (IFS) and NT has no driver for such file system; 2)Not running a Workstation Redirector Service, or anything similar. Once again, these are just my thoughts. I may be incorrect as I am no AS400 guru or anything of the sorts, however, knowing the series of events that have led up to where we are currently at, such as, continuous RDR errors, SMB too short errors and now I/O errors when either requesting or saving data to our AS400, as well as incorrect file format, invalid file name etc; I would certainly think I am at least in the right area. -------------------------------------

AS/400 Netserver -vs- NT

Scott, I don't have the answer, but I can at least give you a little sympathy...EVERY time there is a network issue here, our Network "expert" says the AS/400 is doing something...beaconing, flooding the network with extra packets...however, EVERY time, there has been no change on the AS/400, and there HAS been a change on the network (notwork???) Keep your chin up... RON

Comment

AS/400 Netserver -vs- NT

"Running an Integrated File System (IFS) and NT has no driver for such file system" I am puzzled by this clause in the memo. The upgrades to your network just now introduced NT into the network? Why else would the admin wonder if NT could communicate with IFS unless it had never been done before on your network? If NT is new to network, what aspects have changed? NT Workstation accessing IFS versus Windows 95 previously? NT servers attempting to access IFS as copy commands or FTP? If upgrades are on order of version upgrades and maybe new NIC cards, statement above could be referring to an NT driver compatible with current hardware/software configuration, I guess, but "NT has no driver for such a file system" is very strange way of putting it... Ralph

Comment

AS/400 Netserver -vs- NT

Scott, What do you mean by "now the Netserver is giving us fits"? Could you post the line configuration for ETHLINE? Like you, I also have no background on Win NT. And like you, I have had my share of finger pointing from LAN administrators. I would like to help, but details are required.

Comment

AS/400 Netserver -vs- NT

Thanks for your responses. I'll try to give you some more backgroud of what's happening. The CAD/CAM drawings are on the AS/400 IFS and we have engineers that are accessing the drawings via the Netserver (mapped network drives). Most of these PC's are running Windows 2000 workstation. There are a few PC's accessing the drawings with NT or Windows 98. Until the engineering department had a fiberoptic network connection (new switches/hubs) put in place 2 weeks things were working OK. Since the new network configuration was put into place we've had horrible response time accessing data on the AS/400 (drawings via Netserver). Can the Netserver feature for file servering not duplicate what a NT or Windows 2000 file servers are doing? Would certain software products have a conflict with the Netserver? Scott

Comment

AS/400 Netserver -vs- NT

Is the response time slow for all of the PC platforms or just the NT ones?

Comment

AS/400 Netserver -vs- NT

All the PC's that are accessing the CAD drawings.

Comment

AS/400 Netserver -vs- NT

Scott, If this setup were mine, I would just move the files to an NT/2000 server. Let each machine do what it does best. Bill

Comment

AS/400 Netserver -vs- NT

The AS/400 NetServer is a Windows file and print server. The AS/400 NetServer requires that TCP/IP started and active, and the QSERVER subsystem started prior to starting (STRTCPSVR *NETSVR). Check out web page http://www.as400.ibm.com/netserver/index.htm. Windows clients need TCP/IP and the Microsoft Client for Windows Networks active to be able to access the AS/400 NetServer. After saying all of this, I am very confused by the statements your network person said. Personally, I think that either there is a problem on your AS/400 or the network, and I think the network is probably the cause. From your latest posts I see that your major complaint is that the response time is now much slower, and these response time problems started after the network changed.

Comment

AS/400 Netserver -vs- NT

Scott, Looks like your network has been considerably upgraded. The line speed has probably been bumped up as well. Ask your LAN administrator if the line speed has been increased. If so, better check you ETHLINE configuration. Most likely it is set to the default speed of 10 mbps. You can fix this by changing the line speed to 100 mbps at full duplex. (Warning! Make sure no one is connected to the AS/400 through the LAN before doing this).

Comment

AS/400 Netserver -vs- NT

Also, if your system is at V4R4M0 you may be able to take advantage of the new TCPONLY option for an ethernet line.

Comment

Working...
                      X