File Replication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Replication

I have 2 AS/400's that has a need to keep several files on each AS/400 replicated. I know Data Mirror has a product that would handle this, however, the budget is not available. These are order entry files that need to be duplicated on each box at all times. Have you looked at the product MIMIX from Lakeview Technology? http://www.lakeviewtechnology.com/ I do not recall what it cost, but I do remember that it worked very well. However, if MIMIX is not in your budget either, why not journal the files?

File Replication

We had a similiar requirement in a shop with 4 AS/400's. Our solution was to use data queues and DDM files. With triggers our job would have been even easier. Create a program which will add/change the DDM file from the trigger buffer.

Comment

File Replication

I already thought of that, however, the client wants the physical file to be resident on both boxes. They are using the internet to communicate with one another and they are having some down time. I need to investigate Data Queues. I've heard of them but don't know how they work.

Comment

File Replication

I don't think I explained in enough detail. 1. The physical files existed on all AS/400's. 2. One AS/400 was termed the owner of a file. i.e. All updates were made to the physical file on the system which "OWNED" the file. 3. When a change was written to the file on the owning system, it was also written to the data queue. 4. At specified times during the day a process was initiated to read from the data queue and send the updates to the other systems via DTM files. This process was written before the advent of triggers on the AS/400 and required modifications to the programs which updated the files. With triggers it became much easier to do something like this (no changes to the existing programs). Now (disclaimer), this is a discussion of data replication not data synchronization. Synchronization is much, much, much more involved. Hope this helps, Jerry Hensley Farm Credit Bank

Comment

File Replication

Thanks...now all I've got to do is figure out how to use data queues. I have a few presentations about them, just never used them. Thanks for the info....

Comment

File Replication

If you need some program examples, I would be willing to dig up a couple. You can e-mail direct at - jerry.hensley@farmcreditbank.com good luck, Jerry Hensley Farm Credit Bank

Comment

File Replication

I have 2 AS/400's that has a need to keep several files on each AS/400 replicated. I know Data Mirror has a product that would handle this, however, the budget is not available. These are order entry files that need to be duplicated on each box at all times. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
              X