Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unix to AS400 connectivity

Matthew,
    We used IBM's DB2 Connect to connect from our Solaris boxes to the AS400. Worked fine but was a little pricey.
    You could also use the IBM Java Toolbox to write a quick java app on your Unix box to transfer the data.
    Alex Garrison
    We connect various Unix boxes to our Live AS400 and need to replace a network of gateways and daemons on the Unix side to send data to the AS400 and update DB2/400 files. Traffic from AS400 to Unix is catered for by Data Mirror Trans Server but it is the upward traffic we need to find a suitable product for. We have considered Sybase DirectConnect for AS/400 but this requires Sunlink 9.0 which is no longer supported. Apparently DirectConnect for DRDA does not support AS400 right now - only MVS. We need a TCPIP solution rather than SNA. Has anyone else had experience of this?

Unix to AS400 connectivity

A company called Starquest provides all sorts of Unix - AS/400 connectivity. Try them at http://www.starquest.com Dave

Comment

Alex - I did consider this, but we need a TCP solution and currently DB2 Connect only supports TCP for OS/390 - as we are using OS/400-DB2/400 we would be left with the SNA route.

Comment

We connect various Unix boxes to our Live AS400 and need to replace a network of gateways and daemons on the Unix side to send data to the AS400 and update DB2/400 files. Traffic from AS400 to Unix is catered for by Data Mirror Trans Server but it is the upward traffic we need to find a suitable product for. We have considered Sybase DirectConnect for AS/400 but this requires Sunlink 9.0 which is no longer supported. Apparently DirectConnect for DRDA does not support AS400 right now - only MVS. We need a TCPIP solution rather than SNA. Has anyone else had experience of this?

Comment

Thanks David - the product we are replacing is from Starquest - we are talking to them at the moment to find out if StarSQL is going to be able to do the job. I guess our install is harder as we are limiting ourselves to a TCP solution and excluding the more popular (for IBM anyway) SNA solutions.

Comment

Matthew,
            Please let the group know what you think of StarSQL, particularly if you end up running some stress tests. It would be nice to know if this is really much of an alternative to IBM Connect.
            Alex
            Thanks David - the product we are replacing is from Starquest - we are talking to them at the moment to find out if StarSQL is going to be able to do the job. I guess our install is harder as we are limiting ourselves to a TCP solution and excluding the more popular (for IBM anyway) SNA solutions.

Comment

Matthew, Check out the following document: ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/produc...r/db2h1e70.pdf Chapter 4 is titled: Connecting DB2 Universal Database for AS/400 in a DRDA Network Using TCP/IP. Chapter 2 on the other hand covers the same topic using SNA. You have the choice of using TCP/IP or SNA. Alex Garrison "Matthew Charlwood" wrote in message news:1eae29a5.2@WebX.WawyahGHajS... Alex - I did consider this, but we need a TCP solution and currently DB2 Connect only supports TCP for OS/390 - as we are using OS/400-DB2/400 we would be left with the SNA route.

Comment

Matthew,
                We use DB2 Connect from NT to AS/400 using TCP/IP. I do not know if the Unix version does not support TCP/IP, but the NT version certainly does.
                Given Unix's reliance on TCP/IP, it would seem odd for it to only support SNA.
                Mark Phippard
                Alex - I did consider this, but we need a TCP solution and currently DB2 Connect only supports TCP for OS/390 - as we are using OS/400-DB2/400 we would be left with the SNA route.

Comment

Working...
                X