Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

True Wireless connections to As400 network?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True Wireless connections to As400 network?

Yes. AT&T offers a wireless ISP service. If you have your AS/400 connected to the internet, and this service, you have accessibility. There are other RF devices that are plugged directly into the AS/400. These provide the ability to use certain handheld devices. These are great for warehouse applications. Dave

Thanks Dave for the reply. We have RF devices with our warehouse apps for our AS400 clients. Techlogix RF devices doing 5250 emulation. Works fine. What I'm looking for is something smaller than a standard laptop that I can have with me while I'm on call, but say I'm at a restaurant. I dont want to pull out a laptop. I'll need to get into my network &/or AS400 (and use the network connections there to my clients as well) to respond to some crisis. So it must run telnet or some 5250 emulation and even TCP/IP. Know what I mean? Phil

Comment

Phil,
      At our local user's group, one of the vendors was demonstrating wireless Palm VII devices connected directly to an AS/400. Not sure if there's a tn5250 for Palm yet, tho.
      Chuck
      "Phil White" <pdw284@aol.com> wrote in message news:1dd491a7.1@WebX.WawyahGHajS...
      Thanks Dave for the reply. We have RF devices with our warehouse apps for our AS400 clients. Techlogix RF devices doing 5250 emulation. Works fine. What I'm looking for is something smaller than a standard laptop that I can have with me while I'm on call, but say I'm at a restaurant. I dont want to pull out a laptop. I'll need to get into my network &/or AS400 (and use the network connections there to my clients as well) to respond to some crisis. So it must run telnet or some 5250 emulation and even TCP/IP. Know what I mean? Phil

Comment

Mocha has a Pocket TN5250 app that will run on Palm or WinCE devices. Accesses the 400 via TCP/IP. (Can you "do" TCP/IP via wireless?) FWIW, Steve

Comment

Are there any wireless devices that allow me to access my network and my as400?

Comment

Chuck, Do you know who that vendor was? What was on the other end connected to the AS400 (that received the wireless connection from the PALM)? TIA Phil

Comment

Phil, the Palm VII talks quite nicely to an HTTP server. If you write a simple servlet/JSP type of application, you can easily adapt it to the Palm (you just need to make the page size as small as possible, and minimize the amount of typing, instead relying on buttons). I've got a little test application that interfaces quite nicely with Palms - it's written as a traditional green screen application, but the servlet/JSP layer lets it talk to a Palm.
              Joe
              "Phil White" <pdw284@aol.com> wrote in message news:1dd491a7.4@WebX.WawyahGHajS...
              Chuck, Do you know who that vendor was? What was on the other end connected to the AS400 (that received the wireless connection from the PALM)? TIA Phil

Comment

Working...
              X