Can I get IP address of a varied off work station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I get IP address of a varied off work station

If I get the message 'Subsystem QINTER varied off work station QPADEV0004 for user XXX, is there any way I can find out which actual PC or IP address this referes to at a later date?? Eg. Any logs hold this info, or do I have to sent up a special trace running?

You can only determine the user. The WS naming device is subject to change. I suggest you try "named" sessions. They are very easy to set up, and handy when stuff like this happens. Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave - how do I set up named sessions?

Comment

I suggest you try "named" sessions. They are very easy to set up, and handy when stuff like this happens. Assuming Client Access 3.1.2 or later is used. You can't name a telnet session which uses the same QPADEVnnn format. bill

Comment

Bill, "You can't name a telnet session which uses the same QPADEVnnn format." Starting with V4R2, a telnet exit point program can supply a device name regardless of the telnet client. So it is possible, although if only using Client Access I'd just put the device names in there. There are several sample telnet exit programs available href="http://www.as400.ibm.com/tstudio/tech_ref/tcp/telex/telexdwn.htm">here which can also be used for logging and audit purposes. Doug

Comment

Thanks for the correction, Doug. I'll have to file that one away. Bill

Comment

Once the 5250 session is started you can change the session options. I'm not at a screen right now, and I don't remember if this is from the "File" menu or the "Configure" menu. Anyway, a dialog box will appear for the session, where you can change the default from 24x80 to 27x132, etc. There will be a blank field for the session. It is here that the session name may be entered. Dave

Comment

Working...
              X