Encryption Products for the AS/400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Encryption Products for the AS/400

I want clients to FTP their data to our AS/400 versus cutting tapes. Are there encryption products out there for the AS/400? I found one, but it is pricey. What's the best way to protect data being sent or received? Thanks for any information any one might have.

There are some solutions from past issues of News/400 if you are talking between two AS400's. Other than that the only solution I've found and using is on the PC (PGP encryption), which is freeware. Using the PC solution requires you to have, of course a PC, and either download the file to the PC or run the RUNRMTCMD to do it from the 400. The PC encryption software must have a DOS interface to run from the 400. WinZip has a DOS interface, but the simple password protection is probably not a good idea. Also, what I encountered was that you and the person sending the encrypted file must have the same encryption software (which may eliminate your 400), so that you can have the same encryption key to encrypt and decrypt. I had three PC encryption software packages for testing and none where compatible with the other, even though the file was encrypted using "standard" encryption. Hope this helps.

Comment

At www.as400network.com search for article 2925 to get DES for AS/400, or article 3325 to get Twofish for AS/400.

Comment

Thanks. I'll look into both suggestions.

Comment

Working...
        X