Determining/Changing QSECOFR password

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Determining/Changing QSECOFR password

On Thursday, August 13, 1998, 06:46 AM, Charles W. Boehm wrote: Has anyone had any experience with determining or changing the QSECOFR password when the password is not known? Can IBM determine or change this password in the event that it is forgotten or buried deep in the mind of an ex-employee? I have been fortunate not to have to deal with this situation but want to know just in case. I am sure I am not the first person to ask this question. Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me some insight. Chuck Boehm
    I recently had an experience with a system where the user profiles had been restored from another system and no one knew the Secofr password. In order to get around this I did a manual IPL and set the Qsecofr password through DST. Hope that helps. Just trying to keep up....

Charles, Umm. Okay, without supplying the step by step instructions -- the profile can have the password changed through the dedicated system tools menus. In order for these to be used, you will need to know the password for them. This has probably not been changed from the default. I don't have direct experience changing the password with this method, but numerous articles have been published with explicit instructions. Bill Charles W. Boehm wrote: Has anyone had any experience with determining or changing the QSECOFR password when the password is not known? Can IBM determine or change this password in the event that it is forgotten or buried deep in the mind of an ex-employee? I have been fortunate not to have to deal with this situation but want to know just in case. I am sure I am not the first person to ask this question. Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me some insight. Chuck Boehm

Comment

Here's a wild followup to changing QSECOFR's password. Can the profile be deleted? Curious Bill

Comment

On Thursday, August 13, 1998, 06:46 AM, Charles W. Boehm wrote: Has anyone had any experience with determining or changing the QSECOFR password when the password is not known? On Thursday, August 13, 1998, 12:06 PM, Phil Hall wrote: ##### soap box mode *ON ##### This password for QSECOFR/DST was stored in two places in sealed envelopes. Use of the passwords required upper management signature, and the password was then change, the new one put in a fresh ( & then sealed) envelope and put back in storage. br ##### soap box mode *OFF #####
        We have also another userid with QSECOFR privileges and the password of this user is placed inside an envelope to our safetybox too. This is the way to avoid the situation if QSECOFR do not work (happens once / 100000000 years)   bgcolor="#C3A44A">
        Matti Kujala * HREF="http://www.ahlstrom.com/"> Ahlstrom Kauttua ltd. * HREF="http://www.vn.fi/vn/um/finfo/findeng.html">Finland

Comment

On Friday, August 14, 1998, 04:13 AM, Matti Kujala wrote: On Thursday, August 13, 1998, 06:46 AM, Charles W. Boehm wrote: Has anyone had any experience with determining or changing the QSECOFR password when the password is not known? On Thursday, August 13, 1998, 12:06 PM, Phil Hall wrote: ##### soap box mode *ON ##### This password for QSECOFR/DST was stored in two places in sealed envelopes. Use of the passwords required upper management signature, and the password was then change, the new one put in a fresh ( & then sealed) envelope and put back in storage. br ##### soap box mode *OFF ##### We have also another userid with QSECOFR privileges and the password of this user is placed inside an envelope to our safetybox too. This is the way to avoid the situation if QSECOFR do not work (happens once / 100000000 years)   Matti Kujala * Ahlstrom Kauttua ltd. * Finland
          Of course your other solution would be to make everyone *Secofr............ Just trying to keep up....

Comment

Working...
          X