Ignore QMAXSIGN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignore QMAXSIGN?

I just received a note from one of our remote sites wanting to know it there is any way to have specific User Profiles ignore the QMAXSIGN system value. I do not think that this is possible to do, but I thought I would ask the group anyway. Regards, Phil

Ignore QMAXSIGN?

Interesting...I don't believe there is any way to bypass it, and if there was I would consider it a secrurity hole and look for a PTF to fix it. The QMAXSIGN states the number of illegal sign on attempts permitted (wrong password, wrong name, etc...) before the user profile is disabled, or the device is varied off, or both (depending on QMAXSGNACN). I don't think there would ever be a "legitamite" reason for someone to want to be able to keep trying passwords all day until they find one that is right. I think if someone requested something like that of me, I'd make a program that looked just like the sign on screen and just kept saying "incorrect password" over and over and run it on their tube. Then they could try all day and not get disabled ^^ Jim Langston

Comment

Ignore QMAXSIGN?

I agree with you 100% Jim, but I do not administer the AS/400 in question. Since the question was asked I felt obligated to confirm my answer to them, I would not want to tell them it is impossible and then they find out from another source that it can done. That would not do my reputation much good. Phil

Comment

Ignore QMAXSIGN?

1. You must first be able to identify the user profiles that you want to bypass the QMAXSIGN value for). This can be done in any number of ways - use a physical file or a dataarea etc. or perhaps these user profiles have some characteristics that are different from the other profiles (such as a different group profile). 2. Create a User Profile Exit Point Program (IBM documents this in System APIs - I think) and when the profile "changes" (disabled), just re-enable it.

Comment

Working...
        X