Life without a firewall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life without a firewall

Hi all - I am getting ready to ditch my IBM Firewall (on the IPCS) and go it alone using the filter rules, NAT features in Ops Nav, and regular AS/400 security. Has anyone already done this? TIA, JC

Life without a firewall

Hi John, I'm personally not a fan of putting a production 400 directly on the internet, firewall or not. In fact, between now and this weekend, I'm going to help set up a VPN on NT to allow internet access to the 400, among other things. I also plan to visit 2600 and other hacker sites to find out what they know by now ( 5 years ago they knew about the default users and passwords and these are PC guys, mostly. ) At the least, I'd certainly force use of SSL since it's available now. Don't hold your breath, but if you send me an email, I'll let you know if I find anything scary. Although I haven't put it on the site yet, our user group is having a presentation on just this topic in March. I think it would also be beneficial to everyone to tell us of your further experiences. Best, Joe Sam Joe Sam Shirah Autumn Software Consulting/Development/Outsourcing Please Note New Email: jshirah@attglobal.net Visit our User Group at: http://www.jax400.com

Comment

Life without a firewall

Joe, can you tell me when and where your user group is metting?

Comment

Life without a firewall

Hi Alan, Our local user group is in Jacksonville, Florida, USA. Next meeting, March 14. I generally put the following as the last line on my sig ( in the midrange world, anyhow: ) Visit our User Group at: http://www.jax400.com All the info is there -- or will be when I get to it. ;-P Be sure to go to "Da Beach" if you visit the site. There are some other handy links ( also click on the AS/400 there. ) Joe Sam

Comment

Life without a firewall

Joe I've been struggling for a week now to get VPN working using OS/400 V4R4 and IRE's SoftPK client. If this is your setup too, please let me know if you get it working - email prosperoassociates@compuserve.com. I'll reciprocate if I figure it out.

Comment

Working...
          X