New Virus Warning: Life Stages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Virus Warning: Life Stages

Everyone, There is a new virus that has been circulating all morning. The increased e-mail traffic had brought our e-mail network to its' knees. This thing came to me as labeled as a .txt attachment. Fortunately I was warned about it beforehand and did not open it. Here's the scoop from our security group: Alias: Life Stages, VBS/ShellScrape, VBS/Stages Likelihood: High Platform: Windows VBS/Stages is an Internet worm that utilizes the SHS file type (scrap file) to transfer its code. It spreads using multiple applications/software such as Microsoft Outlook, Pirch, mIRC, and available mapped drives. It arrives via e-mail with a scrap file attachment (LIFE_STAGES.TXT.SHS). When this file is executed, it invokes notepad to display a joke about the stages of life of both male and female. Possible Subject line: "Fw: Life Stages", "Fw: Funny", "Fw: Jokes", "Fw: Life Stages text", "Fw: Funny text", "Fw: Jokes text", "Life Stages", "Funny", "Jokes", "Life Stages text", "Funny text", "Jokes text" Possible Message text: "The male and female stages of life." Attachment: LIFE_STAGES.TXT.SHS

Already seen it personally. The message came from a vendor of mine. He is personally calling all 500 customers that received the message to appologize. Practice save computing. J

Comment

I expect some heads will roll around here for this one. The anti-virus software that they told us to download last month detects this worm. If everyone had downloaded the upgrade as instructed, this thing would not be clogging up our network now! What kills me is that the jerks that start these viruses will ruin things for everyone. Soon it may be too risky to e-mail jokes around for fear of viruses. And when that day comes, I am going to be one unhappy lady! :-(

Comment

Working...
      X