Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Auditing File Useage by User ID. Hot issue!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auditing File Useage by User ID. Hot issue!

How will this help build a report?

What is your current system value set at for QAUDLVL? You could possibly change this to *OBJAUD and then issue a CHGOBJAUD OBI(*LIB/*ALL) OBJTYPE(*FILE) OBJAUD(*ALL). In order to turn on/off auditing of an object, the user who issues the command must have *AUDIT special authority. I am unsure if you will be able to retrieve all the information that you would like. Coming in V5R1, I have read that Triggers have new capabilities to execute upon READ to allow auditing. This would be of benefit only if doing a couple of files that are not constantly updated, otherwise there may exist a performance issue because of Triggers.

Comment

When I changed the Object Audit for the files within the Library that I am monitoring it worked. It will provide info on READ WRITE CHANGE and several other peices of infromation. I "THINK" I can thin link this to the JOB and find out the CPU usage. You get the Gold Star of the day! Thanks again. Tim

Comment

I "THINK" I can thin link this to the JOB and find out the CPU usage.
        I was wondering about the CPU usage. How on earth are you going to associate the CPU usage for the job with the usage of each specific file in any meaningful way? Dave...

Comment

There is really two things I'm trying to combine. 1st I need to know if the files are being used. 2nd what are they being used by and kind of a third is how much CPU time is being used to update these files with the jobs that are running across them. The hard part now is going to be getting the job information into a file format. You can display and print joblogs but I'm not sure how I'm going to get that information into a file for output in the report.

Comment

The hard part now is going to be getting the job information into a file format. You can display and print job logs but I'm not sure how I'm going to get that information into a file for output in the report.
            The best way is to use job accounting. This also runs through journaling. Read chapter 15 (at V4R3) of the work management guide on how to set it up and process the journal entries. If you don't want to use job accounting then the system history (DSPLOG) might be a better place to get your data from than the individual job logs. I'm still confused by your concept of ...
            how much CPU time is being used to update these files with the jobs that are running across them
            ... if you mean the total CPU time of the jobs that update these files, that's fine. If you're hoping to analyse out the amount of CPU time that the processing of each file is specifically accountable for then I think you've got a tricky opportunity on your hands. :-) Dave...

Comment

Have you looked into using Accounting Codes? Dave

Comment

I know that we do use accounting codes. I'm just not familure enough to know what they do for us in this situation. Can you say more?

Comment

Job accounting. Look at my reply of 18 May which directs you where to look. If there's something you don't understand after reading the IBM docs post some more questions here. Dave...

Comment

Dave, I can't find your reply. could point my nose towards them? Sorry for the delay. tim

Comment

I'm looking for a way to monitor the following for all files in a particular library. If all goes well this process will be expanded to other libraries. I have looked at security journaling but it doesn't give me all the information I need. I'm also concerned about the overhead on the system if I turn on to much journaling. This is a high priority for me and would really appreciate any help. Monitor: User ID Files accessed Program used to access files Program's library CPU time used Date and Time files used

Comment

Tim, Read chapter 15 of the work management guide on how to set it up and process the journal entries. That's the correct place at V4R3 - I haven't checked the documentation for other releases. Dave...

Comment

Working...
                        X