AS/400 Automated Problem Notification Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AS/400 Automated Problem Notification Question

We did something similar for end-of-year processing. A few of the IT staff had e-mail capable Nextel phones. Instead of sending a message upon error, we chose to send a status message upon completion. Rather than key staff needing to be in attendance for end-of-year processing, the staff with phones kept his/her phone active until receiving the last completion message. Having a timeline of events, we would expect the page at certain intervals, and if we did not receive then we would dial-in to review any possible problems. We had several jobs that were submitted from within a single CL progam, so we add another Submit to send the completion message. Only thing to remember is that hopefully the job queues utilized are single thread and to submit to the same job queue. If this job is a single CL then in order to implement, you would need to add SNDDST TYPE(*MSG) at key points within the program. If this job runs multiple (call/submit) you could execute a SNDDST between each CL program. Good luck.

Hi all! I recently took over as manager of Information Services for a third party billing company located in the central Mid west. We have a critical nightly job process that needs to run to completion every night and I would like to be notified if the process does not complete for any reason. I know there is software for the AS/400 that will call (ie: cell phone, pager, etc.) if a problem occurs... which brings me to my question: We just installed an iSeries model 820, and I was wondering if anyone knows if there is anything in the native operating system (V4R5M0) or other standard software components that will allow this type of problem notification? Thanks All! Patrick Elliott

Comment

I was just reading that CLient Express 4.4 has a feature that will allow remote devices to be notified of problems when they occur. Another thing you might try is setting your AS/400 to communicate with your email server. Then, in your CL program you could use a IF statement and use the command SNDDST TYPE(*LMSG)TOINTNET(E-mail address) DSTD('Message subject') LMSG('Message text'), Send Spool File Email. This will notify you via email when it the program completes. Here is a website that offers instuctions and free software to do what you are asking about. (It also has the instructions for setting up SMTP on the 400. http://www.bytware.com/freestuff.htm

Comment

Working...
      X