MIRROR and/or RAID-5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIRROR and/or RAID-5

Bill, Contrary to what Andy says, I think you are ok. We had the same type of thing happen to us, it seems to be an erroneous status to have Protected status for an ASP when the drives are Device Parity. I asked our CE about it after I had added some disk to create a second ASP and he consulted with another to make sure. His response was that if the drives are at Device Parity, then the ASP should be at Unprotected. Ours had shown Protected before the additions, Unprotected afterwards. The important status for a Raid-5 ASP is the status of the disk units. I can't think of any reason to mirror a Raid 5 set. Bill > My first question is: > Does the "Unprotected" status mean only that I am not mirroring the drives in the ASP or indicating I have a problem? Again, all of the drives show DPY/Active so RAID-5 is in effect for all of the drives. > Secondly: > Does the "Mirrored" status mean I am doing both mirroring and RAID-5? > I understand the difference between RAID-5 and Mirroring, but should I be doing both?

MIRROR and/or RAID-5

I have 200 AS/400s (model 720s). When I do STRSST (Service Tools), option 3 (Work with Disk Units), then option 1 (display Disk configuration), then option 1 (display disk configuration status), I get a display that shows all my drives with a status of DPY/Active (Raid-5). I only have 1 ASP for all of my disk drives and the status for the ASP shows Mirrored on some AS/400s and Unprotected for others. My first question is: Does the "Unprotected" status mean only that I am not mirroring the drives in the ASP or indicating I have a problem? Again, all of the drives show DPY/Active so RAID-5 is in effect for all of the drives. Secondly: Does the "Mirrored" status mean I am doing both mirroring and RAID-5? I understand the difference between RAID-5 and Mirroring, but should I be doing both?

Comment

MIRROR and/or RAID-5

Bill R., Thanks for the correction. I went back and checked my notes and I was in error, a RAIDed ASP can be either mirrored or unprotected. Andy

Comment

Working...
      X