OfficeVision/400 on V5R1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OfficeVision/400 on V5R1

There really are no other instructions. Turn off digitial signature checking, install the components one at a time, and you're done.

OfficeVision/400 on V5R1

remember, it is unsupported. If you end up with a problem, IBM will say deinstall OV...I wouldn't do it...

Comment

OfficeVision/400 on V5R1

Ron Deardorff wrote: I wouldn't do it Does your shop have a heavy duty investment in OV/400 documents, help screens, and merge features? Dave

Comment

OfficeVision/400 on V5R1

We have somewhere near 1,000,000 documents spread over 8 ASP's. Documents are integral to the application, and if it fails, all work stops. So, yes, I guess there is a heavy duty investment....

Comment

OfficeVision/400 on V5R1

The following came to me from a few contacts. Hope they are of some help... 1. Brian Podrow of IBM mentioned this during one of the V5R1 sessions in Rochester, and I wanted to pass it along to you. Please remember that I haven't tested this (nor, I suspect, has Brian, although I do respect his technical abilities and judgement). With that caveat, and also remembering that IBM officially has discontinued Officevision 400, and has further declared that it is not supported after V4R5, please note the following:
          =================================== Officevison 400 should run under V5R1, and perhaps future releases. However, you (or the customer) must do the following:
          o Save the Officevision product from the LICPGM menu o Save the QOFC library separately, just in case. o Save all folders on the system (just a precaution; folders are part of OS/400) o Install the upgrade to V5R1 o Install the associated PTF's for V5R1
          Then you should Install the Officevison 400 licensed program and the folders that you saved in the first steps above.
          Please emphasize to your customer that this is UNSUPPORTED by IBM (and you). If it does not work, you have nowhere to go for assistance.
          2.I have had similar questions regarding these commands from solution
          providers in different parts of the country -- usually an indication that this is of concern to many of you and to your customers. The first part of this note was received from contacts within the Rochester Development Lab (where the AS/400 is manufactured and supported) and is very detailed about many of the commands commonly associated with Officevision, but really part of OS/400. It is very detailed and technical (but that's what many of us get paid for!)
          > ===================QOGCHGOE example=========================== The history of OV/400 and OS/400 is that the commands were constructed with OV/400 functions being set as the default when those functions were required. Therefore, when OV/400 is not on the system, these functions must be provided by other applications or appear to be provided by other applications. This is done by an exit program registration interface called QOGCHGOE (Change Office Exit Program). Note: Refer to the System API Reference or the OV/400 V3R1 Planning Guide A redbook (OV/400 Application Enabler V2R3 (GG24-4072)) is also helpful.
          Here is an example using the Create Document (CRTDOC) command. If you try to use the CRTDOC command with OV/400 installed, a message appears stating that folder is needed for that document, If you try to create a folder (CRTFLR) , a message appears stating you need to be in the system distribution directory. If you try using the Add Directory Entry (ADDDIRE) command, it works. Now you can create the folder, At this point you try to use the CRTDOC command, but you receive a message that the "required system module not found." The message is generated because the command processor for CRTDOC looked to see if OV/400 is in the "entry point table", found that is not, and posted the message.
          An alternative to OV/400 is needed. This is where the QOGCHGOE comes into play. The kind of document that is created is determined by a document profile (this is a document that you want your new one to look like) that must exist in folder QPRFFLR. So, put a document (use and existing one or a PC file ) in QPRFFLR. If QPRFFLR does not exit, use the CRTFLR command again, optionally changing folder details if a specific profile document is to be used. Now we get to QOGCHGOE and an exit program to use QOGCHGOE.
          Here is a simple Command Language (CL) program (called QPGNOOP (for no operation)). If you want an alternative editor, specify it in the fifth line of this program (in the &FUNCTION variable. This "no operation" program tells OS/400 not to look for OV/400 to perform any of the functions (the last lien with a return code of 0000).
          QOGNOOP: PGM PARM(&DOCUMENT &FOLDER &TYPE &FUNCTION &INFO &EXIT) DCL VAR(&DOCUMENT) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(12) DCL VAR(&FOLDER) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(63) DCL VAR(&TYPE) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(4) DCL VAR(&FUNCTION) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(26) DCL VAR(&INFO) TYPE(*CHAR) DCL VAR(&EXIT) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(4) CHGVAR VAR(&EXIT) VALUE(0000) ENDPGM
          After placing this program in library QGPL, you can call the API per the command below on the OS/400 command line:
          CALL PGM(QOGCHGOE) PARM('QOGNOOP QGPL ''1''NA NALIB '0)
          Now if you tried using CRTDOC and subsequently MOVDOC, CPYDOC and DLTDLO on that document, those commands work as expected. However, if you try to Display Document (DSPDOC) or Edit Document (EDTDOC), no functions will be performed because in the "no operation" program above, no application was specified to perform that function (in the &FUNCTION variable). The &FUNCTION variable covers function such as edit, create, fill form, mail edit, mail view, mail reply, merge, print spell check, view, etc. (see reference mentioned above for details.).
          =======================End of QOGCHGOE example=============================
          One should know that there are functions of OS/400 that are often thought of as OV functions, when in fact they are not. As broad categories - Document support (DLS) and System Distribution Directory (SDD) are OS/400 functions and not OV functions. Below is a list (see the redbook for the exhaustive list) of some 80+ commands that a user does not need OV/400 installed to use these commands:
          Note they are almost all dealing with documents (DLS) and directory (SDD). The list can cause some puzzlement - if you will note EDTDOC is on the list. It turns out that EDTDOC is built to have as its default the OV/400 text editor - but it doesn't have to be. Programmatically a user can change the editor to be other editors - including PC editors - but this setup work must be done.
          ADDDIRE DLTDLO RMVDIRE ADDDIRSHD DLTDST RMVDIRSHD ADDDLOAUT DLTDSTL RMVDLOAUT ADDDSTLE DTSPADCT RMVDSTLE ADDNCK DMPDLO RMVNCK ADDRMTDFN DSPAUTLDLO RMVRMTDFN CFGRPDS DSPDIRE RNMDIRE CHGDIRE DSPDLOAUD RNMNCK CHGDIRSHD DSPDLOAUT RNMDLO CHGDSTA DSPDLONAM RNMDSTL CHGDSTL DSPDOC RTVDLONAM CHGDLOAUD DSPDSTL RPLDOC CHGDLOAUT DSPFLR RSTDLO CHGDLOOWN DSPHLPDOC RTVDOC CHGDLOPGP DSPNCK RVKUSRPMN CHGDOCD DSPRMTDFN SAVDLO CHGDSTD DSPUSRPMN SNDDST CHGRMTDFN EDTDLOAUT WRKDIRE CHGNCK EDTDOC WRKDIRLOC CHKDLO FILDOC WRKDIRSHD CPYDOC GRTUSRPMN WRKDOC CPYFRMDIR MOVDOC WRKDOCLIB CPYFRMPCD OVRPRTF WRKDOCPRTQ CPYTODIR PRTDOC WRKDSTL CPYTOPCD QRYDOCLIB WRKFLR CRTDOC QRYDST WRKNCK CRTDSTL RCLDLO WRKRMTDFN CRTFLR RCVDST CRTSPADCT RGZDLO ================================================== ========================

Comment

OfficeVision/400 on V5R1

After installing V5R1 I read that Office Vision/400 could be re-installed by turning off checking for digital signatures. Could someone please give me detail instructions on how to do this.

Comment

OfficeVision/400 on V5R1

Ron - Be advised that we have found with V5R1 that there many features that we use heavily in OV/400 that actually do not work or do not work right. You can re-install OV but you really aren't getting anything all that close to what you have now. You are better off getting a replacement system or staying with an earlier release of OS/400.

Comment

Working...
              X