Copy Subsystems and Q* Libraries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy Subsystems and Q* Libraries

WOW! He must have bought an AS/400 without a tape drive!

Tim, The only reasons I can think of to copy SBSD's is" 1) To modify them (and prevent your changes from being lost) 2) To compare to the "new" SBSD's installed after an OS upgrade As far as copying QGPL the only reason I can think of is: 1) You have put 'commands/programs/other objects' into QGPL and want to protect them from being deleted during an OS upgrade. If you are copying QSYS, I think tape is your only option. As far as "other things" Refer to your Backup strategy. Anyone else?????

Comment

Tim, The only reasons I can think of to copy SBSD's is" 1) To modify them (and prevent your changes from being lost) 2) To compare to the "new" SBSD's installed after an OS upgrade As far as copying QGPL the only reason I can think of is: 1) You have put 'commands/programs/other objects' into QGPL and want to protect them from being deleted during an OS upgrade. Anyone else?????

Comment

I noticed that the previous System Admin person here created duplicates of all of his Subsystems and QSYS and QGPL libraries prior to doing an OS upgrade. I personally have never done this. Is there a good reason to do this or is this over kill? If this is a good Idea is there other libraries I should duplicate too? thanks Tim

Comment

Tim, Sounds like overkill to me. As part of your upgrade, you will be doing a full option 21 save before you begin and you will be able to restore any objects from there. If you have modified IBM-supplied objects and left them in their original library, you are in danger of losing your changes, and it is a good idea to keep rigid controls over such objects, preferably in a user library. If your previous system adminstrator had a long history with the IBM midrange, it is likely that he or she developed some habits during a time when bad things were more likely to happen during an upgrade. IBM has improved the process considerably. Andy

Comment

Working...
          X