Restoring a Library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring a Library

Rick, no, if the access paths need to be rebuilt this is true whether the target library is empty or contains versions of the restored files. The way to prevent the rebuilds is to include the access paths in the save. Specify ACCPTH(*YES) on the SAVOBJ or SAVLIB command. Obviously this will use more tape and increase your save time. The trade off is a quicker restore. You have to decide whether it's worth it. IMX it usually is. Dave...

Restoring a Library

Dave, What is the trade off with the backup up the Access Paths? What's the "ratio" if there is one? Is it substantial? Right now I can do a nightly backup onto one 13gig tape with all my data in less than 45 mintues. If it is going to take me to a 2nd tape, then it might not be worth the change. Rick

Comment

Restoring a Library

I have an interesting question... I have a TEST library that I restore from the Production backups when I need to run test scenarios across my data. The question is, If I just do a RSTLIB of the Production Library OVER my Test Library, will this save me time for the Logical Rebuilds? The Data Library has SEVERAL logicals and it takes quite some time for the bacground rebuilds to take place when the restore is to an EMPTY library. Just curious... Rick Elliott Murray's Discount Auto Stores

Comment

Restoring a Library

There isn't a fixed ratio unfortunately. What percentage of the 13 gig do you currently fill, how many logical files do you have, and how big are they? The easiest way to find out, actually, is to try it one evening and see how you get on. Of course you may have to stay late to nursemaid the backup in case you need to change the tape. Assuming it all fits onto one tape with the access paths included then you will still need to check how much of the tape is used and keep an eye on the inevitable growth of your data. The trade off is a greatly reduced restore time, not only for your regular restores but also in the event of a disaster recovery. If you can estimate the reduced time for a complete system restore and you have a tape capacity problem you may be able to cost justify an upgrade to the tape system. Dave...

Comment

Working...
        X