Installing a new 3590-B11 tape library resource

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing a new 3590-B11 tape library resource

Scott, How is your tape drive attached? Supported SCSI controllers are #2729, #6534, and #6501. While your MFIOP could control the I/O adapter, the 3590 should be directly attached to a card like the #2729. Why are you expecting it to be directly associated with the #2809? I have seem some tape drives which can operate in both manual and library mode. I'm not directly familiar with the 3590, but if it can switch between the two modes, it may only require that the mode be changed. In most cases however, OS/400 will autoconfigure the library object regardless of the tape drive's status. If you are at V4R1 through V4R4, it may be a PTF issue. AS/400 INFO APAR II11472 contains specific information of PTF's required for 3590 attachment. One known problem addressed in the document is the failure to autoconfigure the MLB description. While most of this document refers to the Exx models of the 3590, I believe that some of the information also applies to the B11. Worth looking at. Andy

We have a new 3590-B11 tape drive. I have made several attempts in allowing the AS/400 detect and configure the tape "library" resource. It appears that the system detects the 3590 just fine and assigns it a tape resource name, gets the serial number, creates the device, etc. It never creates the tape library as a resource. Whats really weird is when the tape resource is assigned, it is placed within a 2729 resource. It should instead be associated with the 2809 combined function IOP. I am hoping someone else has run into this problem and knows where to go from here. My IBM CE is researching the problem. Since the serial number is detected and the tape device seems to be functioning properly, I kind of suspect there is a setting we are missing on the tape unit itself. When the tape drive is created by the system it varies on just fine but throws the following errors in QSYSOPR and the problem log:[*] Tape Unit Failed - Illegal or unsupported tape unit response.[*] Equipment check while processing on device.

Comment

Thanks Andy for you insight. It turned out to be a CU setting within the tape unit itself. This mode switches itself between large library mode and single mode. It took several calls from my CE to track down the right person. Once we disabled the CU mode it configured it correctly. We never did find this documented anywhere. Oh well. It's working now.

Comment

Working...
      X