New Year's Eve Prognostications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Year's Eve Prognostications

Ahoy Cap'n Dan, Sounds like the Nautical version of the Kidney Foundation. I did the same thing with my 1988 Accord a few months back. I think it was restored into a 1.5 ton Steel Ingot. But I see you're accounting problem.... You're still using Base 10. Try Hex. The answer won't really change but the numbers look smaller. Although you could keep cranking the same numbers over and over while hoping for different results. I've worked with lots of programmers that used that technique. They'd keep running the same code hoping to get different answers. I'm seriously thinking about embracing the concept myself. Afterall, I've made major modifications to dozens of programs only to see no change whatsoever. Why shouldn't the exact opposite be true as well ?? Good luck with your new ride. Plastic boats are better than no boat at all. Argghhh, Mike

The one prediction that I'm sure is spot on is: The prophets of IT will continue to make predictions that, with a few years' hindsight, will prove to be wrong. Joel: Are you suggesting that your other predictions will in the future prove to be wrong? BTW, it's not "Babble Fish", it's "Babel Fish". How can any analyst expect to be respected by his fellow geeks if he can't quote DOuglas Adams correctly? ;-) q

Comment

qm said:
      Joel: Are you suggesting that your other predictions will in the future prove to be wrong?
      Like I said in the article,
      My readers are the exception that proves the rule. They are far too wise to ever take a single word I say seriously.
      Then again ... I've got a few serious, non-tirade articles slated for later in the new year and I hope that I will be taken seriously in those. And I can't believe that I got Babel Fish wrong. Of course, qm, you are right. I definitely deserve to be whipped mercilessly with my own trusty towel for that.

Comment

q and Joel, My apologies.... I'm the source of the Babel Fish Blunder. As I'm sure you've all suspected, I'm actually a Phone Hygienist masquerading as an IT professional. Spelling wasn't part of our Training. Wait-a-minute...... Where's MY Towel ?? Lemme see that Monogram !! Mike

Comment

** This thread discusses the article: New Year's Eve Prognostications **
          This is a discussion about New Year's Eve Prognostications.

Click here for the article.

Comment

Joel, I enjoy your work. Your article was another home run! (Come to think of it, if you are an Expos fan, that probably is enough to put you atop the leaderboard of your team. That is, assuming there will be one - anywhere in North America - if the DC council doesn't come through with a stadium for them... wait, I am fulfilling your final prediction here already.) And you are 'fearlessly' inspecific enough to probably end up being right on all counts. Merry Christmas, John N

Comment

John, Thank you, thank you, thank you so much for the very kind words. The very best for the holidays and the new year to you, yours, and everyone else who happens to read this. Thanks again, Joel

Comment

Joe, I decided that I should do something to show my support for you. So I took 4 hours of my company's time and wrote a random number generator. I installed it on our biggest iSeries (no Windows numbers for me!) On the very first run (.000021 seconds), it came up '2'. So, no matter what I really think, I will do my best to help your second prediction to come true. Just my way of showing I care. -dan

Comment

Comment

You have been acurate of enough about things in general, it gives us something to think about. Thanks and have good holidays Dwight

Comment

Da, I'm going to assume that you were talking to me (even though I'm Joel not Joe, but that's OK, I like to conserve key strokes too) and that you were referring to my third prediction (iSeries will still be with us) rather than my second (people will continue to whine about Microsoft). Whatever, thanks for your exceptionally strong show of support. It's nice to know that you can afford to waste four hours of your company's time just to show your support and it's always nice to know that someone cares. Just out of curiosity, what did your random number generator come up with on the second through one millionth runs? Joel

Comment

Dwight, Thanks and right back at you on that good holidays thing. Joel

Comment

Joel, Sorry about the "Joe". My typing is atrocious. And, no, I was talking about the second. I will whine long and loud. As to the third, I don't think you'll need my help for that one to come true. I, too, remember in the mid-90's when people were saying the 400 was a dead platform, and RPG was beyond antique. Curiously, the second through one millionth runs all came up two. I know for a fact that my code is flawless, so there must be a cosmic reason for it. -da

Comment

Jo, Don't forget that Da (unless I'm mistaken) is the Proud owner of a WOODEN Boat. This, in an age when ALL Boats should be made from things like fiberglass, nuclear waste, aluminum, and petroleum by-products. So he obviously has a great fondness for Antiques. Thus explaining his attraction for outdated, obsolete and other-wise comnpletely un-cool platforms like the i400 A Series.... or whatever it's called today. Da, Hopefully that was at Least a 25,000 line program.... If you only wasted your Employers time and didn't bloat your code enough to consume a good chunk of DASD, then you've only done half the job. Merry Christmas, Mi

Comment

so there must be a cosmic reason for it.
                              Sorry Dan, you'll have to recheck your code. If there were a cosmic reason for it, the result would have come out as 42, not two. If you're a "Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy" fan that will make perfect sense to you. Otherwise it will sound like total nonsense. Then again, if you are a regular reader of my tirades you should by now be used to hearing total nonsense from me.

Comment

Working...
                              X