How do i even START the debugger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use the same connection name that I defined as the connection name in WDSCi RSE. If I called it "Victor" in RSE, that what I use on the STRRSESRV command. Chris

Comment

thank you. Actually, i called it 'The 400' tried using that as the connection name for STRRSESVR and still no luck. this is what i got:
      Code

Comment

Create a new connection that is the same name as your iSeries (what you see on a DSPNETA). That's the name I used and it worked for me. Chris

Comment

sit at the 400 when i type STRRSESRV, then it tells me the ip address of my pc, and it tells me the daemon is not listening on 4300. Its that simple. I tried changing the port both on websphere to something else... restarting websphere....and retrying STRRSESRV with the new port...DOES NOT WORK...why not?? discouraged? who me? just look at the date this thread started. We're even working with ibm support on this. Is it another problem because we're on v5r3??????????????? ?????????????????????????? discouraged? why? all this work so i can then type a command on the pc.... run over to the green screen and see the results there???? Discouraged? who me?????

Comment

Start WDSc. Check the comm daemon for port number. Make sure the IP address in STRRSESVR is the PC address and not the AS400. Verify there is no firewall between AS400 and PC.
            I tried changing the port both on websphere to something else... restarting websphere
            Websphere has nothing to do with WDSc (other than share the name). I assume you mean WDSc, correct?

Comment

did mean WDSC., sorry SDSC v5.1.2 in fact. The ip address in STRRSESVR is in fact the ip address of my pc. have verified this with IPCONFIG And there was in fact a firewall on my pc. . .which i have disabled on my machine (my co-worker actually uninstalled his firewall completely) -remember that everything else works fine. I can do code/400, can verify, can even compile. Using WDSC i can even create a library on the 400 (which i then immediately deleted using greenscreen)

Comment

This is all it took STRRSESVR NAME('The 400') RMTLOCNAME('199.254.250.181') the NAME is the connection name i have set up in wdsc. the RMTLOCNAME is the ip address of my pc simple as that

Comment

ok back to debugging: Have now spent a good part of 2 days trying to debug the simplest of programs. No luck with the interactive debugger. Mind you, our compiles already default to *SOURCE for the DBGVIEW param. From remote sys navigator, i find the rpg object i want to run an interactive debug on: right click/debug prompt/interactive get the modify attributes and launch give it the connection, the library and the program, even go to the HOW TO START section to put in my one paramter, which i do. press debug. it tells me i dont have an interactive session, go ahead and STRRSESRV and this time it works beautifully try again the debug...this time i even see my program being called with the param back on the greenscreen.... problem is back on wdsc. . .there is no step into...no nothing, no source...nothing, i am on the debug perspective....nothing going on. have clicked everywhere and done it again and again.... all to no avail what's the trick?

Comment

Use *SRCDBG or *LIST for the DBGVIEW parm. Set some breakpoints then click RESUME (PLAY). Chris

Comment

I did that. . . Where do i click Resume (Play)? my wdsc screen looks pretty much like this: top: I have a 'Breakpoints' window it shows i have a breakpoint at line 15...thats about it can switch to Variables, Expressions, Registers, etc...but they are completely blank Middle Left: have the lpex editor on the source for the object i am debugging. can right click wherever....but there is no resume anywhere...there is no 'Step into' or Next, or any of the things I would expect when i am debugging Middle Right: There is a little 'outline window' which looks very nice, it tells me things about my program like field names and stuff, BUT I CANNOT LOOK INSIDE THE FIELDS Bottom: have the console. It says Process 300916/VICTOR/VF_GREEN/Program #PRTMSG (that is in fact the program i am debugging (or so i think)) And what's going on at the greenscreen where i did my STRRSESVR? Must say, looks pretty good It has that ibm rse communication server, and at the bottom it has this: Job: VF_GREEN/VICTOR/300916 Command: CALL PGM(VICTOR/#PRTMSG) PARM('Hello yet again') (which is in fact the program i am trying to debug from wdsc)

Comment

I think you closed you debug view at some point. Go to the Debug Perspective, then click on "Windows" then "Reset Perspective" or "Show View" then "Debug". If you reset the debug perspective, the debug view will be in upper left corner. It's a stacked view with "Servers" so you may have to click on the "Debug" tab at bottom of view. Have you considered buying Joe Pluta's "WDSC Step by Step" book here at MCPressOnline? Chris

Comment

WDSC S by S. No, i had not considered it, in fact. . . didnt know it existed. I am certainly considering it right now. Seems anything i try to do in WDSC takes hours on end. . . Its getting to the point, i'm actually thinking about. . . taking off my mask!

Comment

That did it, thank you Chris when i restored the view, everything looked much like i had expected. I also just put in my order for WDSC step by step. Looking forward to it.

Comment

How do i even START the debugger? having problems. from rse i wanted to debug an interactive program. got an error telling me to STRRSESVR...so i did that then it is looking for an object called QRSEMAIN, but it cannot be found at all on the 400. what the?

Comment

Joe owes me a beer. Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X