Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top 10 Things RPG Needs

** This thread discusses the article: Top 10 Things RPG Needs **
    In the intro to SunMicrosystems Java manual they state that one misconception is, "Java will become the universal programming language." So even Sun recognizes that JAVA is not the answer to many computing needs. It seems, we aren't following the ideas being presented here. If we want the AS/400 community to grow and prosper, we need something that can make even the Windows developers envy. All we have currently is ILE RPG/COBOL and CODE/400. We need to let go of the old and create the new if we are to have a common 400 community of the future. We need to get IBM to expand their mind set. As well as ourselves. I hope this helps you to understand where I'm going here. Either you want the 400 to survive or you don't. I do.

Comment

Top 10 Things RPG Needs

Who cares what the compiler generates? Why put a limit on the future?We need new tools in the form of a new language. Something that will attract even the Windows guys. I'm talking about a real universal language that will work for everything a business needs. I'm not limiting my thoughts as much as many seem to be. What's the difference between re-writing legacy code to another legacy code vs a new language? Why can't IBM create the greatest universal tool ever? Check out my post to Ralph's response.

Comment

Top 10 Things RPG Needs

In the intro to SunMicrosystems Java manual they state that one misconception is, "Java will become the universal programming language." So even Sun recognizes that JAVA is not the answer to many computing needs. It seems, we aren't following the ideas being presented here. If we want the AS/400 community to grow and prosper, we need something that can make even the Windows developers envy. All we have currently is ILE RPG/COBOL and CODE/400. We need to let go of the old and create the new if we are to have a common 400 community of the future. We need to get IBM to expand their mind set. As well as ourselves. I hope this helps you to understand where I'm going here. Either you want the 400 to survive or you don't. I do.

Comment

Top 10 Things RPG Needs

builder wrote: "I hope this helps you to understand where I'm going here. Either you want the 400 to survive or you don't. I do." And so do I, and I think everyone here. I'm certainly no Java zealot. I trashed OO a couple of days ago and of course got no response. There's no beef, there's only philosophical statements that such and such is true, 'cause everyone says so. They can go into hours of proving that OO is a significant leap for mankind, yet can't point to anything significant, such as an ERP, written in OO, nor show any of the benefits has ever happened anywhere in the history of the world that they spent hours attempting to prove must exist. However... I have no idea what another language is supposed to do that Java doesn't do. I mean, how could the syntax vary that much from Java and be viable? I like assembler and RPG, which have the same basic constructs and thinking, vertical thinking I call it. C and derivatives are horizontal in nature, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, until my head is snapping back and forth like I'm watching tennis. I can't stand it. It makes me dizzy. On the other hand, no one but me cares what I like. But I digress. IBM has a ton, I mean billions of tons, of effort to make Java *the* language and for a world class Java runtime environment to run on the AS/400. What possibly could a different language for the AS/400 do that Java doesn't do, and what would it look like, and why? rd

Comment

Top 10 Things RPG Needs

For what it's worth, here are my comments on Bob's list. (I may be on LOA until April, but I still can't resist checking in on these fora now and then!) 1) Here's a wild and crazy idea: Why not write procedures to simplify FTP access? (What next, HTTP access? XML-RPC access? Gopher access? SOAP?) 2) Again, what's wrong with procedures? 3) No argument there. But what's stopping you from using whatever editor you like today? 4) Hmmm, I can write that procedure in 5 notes, er statements! 5) As they say, hindsight is 20/20. Looking back at V3R1, I can think of several mistakes that were made in the first design for RPG IV that now give us significant grief in continuing to enhance the language. At that time, the main goal was to define a new syntax for RPG III, and not necessarily an improved RPG. Looking back, it's amazing what we did actually accomplish for that 1st RPG IV release, but if the language designers were a bit more far-sighted, we could have had a better base from which to take the language further. (But in general, the same problem afflicts probably every other programming language out there. Just look at the work going on to develop Perl 6. Even Python, as great a language as it is, has its own warts.) 6) "...and yet is one of the best languages to use for CGI programming." !?!? My opinions on the subject are known by many in this community, and I won't debate the subject again here. But again, what's keeping you (or anyone else for that matter) from developing the perfect procedure library for CGI? (BTW, the only other general purpose language with specific CGI functionality in the language, rather than in class libraries, is that gawd-awful language Perl. Unfortunately, many of the really useful CGI features in that language would be very difficult to implement in a compiled language like RPG.) 7) Better SQL integration - no argument there. Some improvements are on their way in the next release, and hopefully also in future releases. Not perfect, but there does seem to be a definite push on in Rochester to improve SQL programming in RPG. 8) CCSID independent character handling would definitely be nice to have in the language. But note that it would entail a significant performance penalty. 9) Overloaded procedure parameters is one of our own favorite future enhancements, and maybe in some future release (not the one currently under development) it will bubble to the top of the plan. 10) Bob, it seems like every time I see one of your "wish lists", you include at least one item that is already available in the language. This time, this is that one item. When we added // as an "end-of-line" comment in the /FREE spec, we also added support for // as a comment in non-free specs. This way, in V5R1+ programs, you can have one consistent commenting style for the whole program, rather than one style for /FREE specs and another for fixed specs. Cheers! Hans

Comment

Top 10 Things RPG Needs

I know this isn't on topic, but I don't have the time to try to figure out where and how to post someplace appropriate. Ignite/400 sent out a news e-mail about their new AS/400 (call me a bigot) with the new Apache webserver. The e-mail says they love it. Unfortunately, the e-mail says it every few minutes as it keeps arriving over and over and over and over and... you get the picture If anyone knows an Ignite/400 admin and can get an e-mail through to them, please pass on from me that their stress test passed... rd P.S. a big assumption on my part is that a new POP server came with the package as well...

Comment

Top 10 Things RPG Needs

Pardon me if I'm a bit wrong here, while it would be nice to design / edit screen, report, and file formats as well as program and operating system logic (ie. RPG & CL) all within a single utility / language (without having to recompile the whole mess - WOW!), doesn't that sorta flies in the face of modular and object orientated programming? That seems to be a bit of a digression back to the days of huge monlithic programs.

Comment

Top 10 Things RPG Needs

There are too many languages already, and I think I've even said that on this forum before. Just because a language may not fit your idea of the perfect world doesn't mean you should run out and create a new one. There are MANY languages out there: RPG, COBOL, Java, C, C#, C++, Objective-C, Ada, Pascal, FORTRAN, Lisp, Prolog, Basic/VisualBasic, Scheme, Eiffel, Haskell, Python, Perl, PHP, PL/I, APL...just to name as many as I could without having to stop and think. A new language won't get you productivity. New for new's sake doesn't get you anything. What IBM really needs is to make the developer tools more productive, and they're becoming much better at it (WSAD5 may be a memory hog, but its a *great* IDE).

Comment

Top 10 Things RPG Needs

Ignite/400 says this morning their list mail was responding to an automated response from a list member, and so these computers reliably hurled e-mails back and forth to each other all night. They dropped the one offending list member account and are looking into the issue on their end. rd

Comment

Top 10 Things RPG Needs

Instead of ridiculous panel groups, I wish IBM would come up with a way our programs could use a source document composed of simple HTML tags for help screens. It seems that couldn't be too difficult to do. Anything but evil Panel Groups. Jim Quinlan http://www.AsthmaStory.com

Comment

Top 10 Things RPG Needs

Then write that procedure! Hans, I have written a FindReplace() procedure and it's going to be in the next issue of the news letter. But my requirements comes from the point of view that the 6 million (or whatever the number is) RPG programmers out there should not all have to write that routine themselves. Some things can be done more efficiently (I hope!) by you and the gang. For example, everytime I write a new sample piece of code that requires feature X, I have to include feature X in that sample because it is not part of the native language specification. Granted, I am building an RPG ToolKit that has many, many procedures in it, that I hope "everyone" will download, install and use, but history has shown us that on this platform (with few exceptions), unless it comes from IBM, 98% of the population just won't use it. I had this discussion with a Microsoft developer once over the "Tabbed Dialog" boxes you see in Win32. Back then, Win16 (Windows 3.1) still owned the market and many developers wanted tabbed dialog boxes in their applications. Microsoft kept telling us "you can build that code yourself, today, but doing A, B, C and D." Problem is, in that context, that mean 3 million people have to waste their time reinventing the wheel because MS didn't want to bother. So I took his suggestion and I wrote a tabbed dialog class for Windows 3.1. Then I saw him at another event and told him it took me nearly 3 week of 10 hour days and about 6 days per week to get them to work. And I said "So now another 2.99999 million people have to spend a collective half a billion hours duplicating my efforts." Sure I've written a FindReplace() routine, an FTP() procedure set, a convert database to CSV procedure and more. If I publish these procedure (some of which I will) that means about 40,000 subscribers will have the opportunity to see the code and maybe use it. Of those, what 100 may try to key it in. And of the other 200,000 or 550,000 AS/4000 (which ever number you believe) how many of them will be able to take advantage of it? Probably 1 or 2. But if IBM addes feature X, then everyone has it and I don't have to worry about those other quarter million AS/400 shops. Oh, and the Microsoft issue? Well, he finally added it and virtually everyone who built new applications took advantage of it.

Comment

Top 10 Things RPG Needs

Hey, I've got an idea.... Let's call this new language Esperanza! ;-) chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "builder" wrote in message news:6ae51335.9@WebX.WawyahGHajS... | Who cares what the compiler generates? Why put a limit on the future?We need new tools in the form of a new language. Something that will attract even the Windows guys. | | I'm talking about a real universal language that will work for everything a business needs. I'm not limiting my thoughts as much as many seem to be. What's the difference between re-writing legacy code to another legacy code vs a new language? Why can't IBM create the greatest universal tool ever? Check out my post to Ralph's response.

Comment

Top 10 Things RPG Needs

Bob: Why should I write a "find replace" procedure if you've already written one? You're absolutely write that every one of the 6,000,000 RPG programmers out there shouldn't have to re-invent the wheel. And in other language communities, there is no difficulty whatsover in finding code that implements common programming problems. As I've mentioned at least half a dozen times before, in particular, Perl programmers know to look first in CPAN for code. CPAN is an archive of user-written code for many common programming problems. Why can't the Perl language developers do all that themselves? Well, they're busy with language development. Likewise, there is only so much that the RPG compiler developers can do. (And half the team is currently off on LOA!) As you've been told what seems to be a zillion times already, the RPG development team chooses items for implementation that can't easily be done using procedures or any other language technique. If some requested function can be performed by calling an API, the function is considered available in the language. Likewise, if some function can be performed in an easy procedure, it gets shuffled down (low down) on the priority list. The items that get chosen for implementation get chosen because there's some benefit that can't otherwise be easily done in the language. But then, you already know all this - we've debated this ad nauseum in the past already. I agree that this particular community has specific needs, and I have no easy answers. For example, why should any organization put a critical dependency on some code of questionable origin downloaded from the web? And so some RPG development shops can easily justify spending a coupla thou on some useful package of code if it comes with a promise of support, where in other environments equivalent code is readily available for free. Sure, different communities have different needs, and I can sympathise with a "batteries included" approach (like Python has). But then again, where do you draw the line? Find-replace? Statistical functions? Or should the language have built-in functionality for A/R, A/P, and G/L applications? But then again, as the old cliche says, the only constant in this industry is change. Old methods and expectations can't stay the same forever, and the open-source community (in particular) is changing the landscape significantly. Open-source has been one of the biggest influences for at least half a decade now, and the RPG programming community has still largely sit on the sidelines wondering what the fuss is all about. Believe it or not, but many in IBM do understand, and believe it or not, there is indeed a business case for it! "Tabbed dialogs" is indeed an interesting example, and is a great source of bad UI design! To get back to the open-source paradigm, when the need for some functionality is identified, and someone provides a solution, very often that solution can be merged into the official distro of the software (such as the Linux distro's). Or be made available in some common repository (like CPAN). As you've illustrated quite nicely, proprietary software has some significant limitations. We've discussed this before - what the RPG community needs is a user-supported resource like CPAN, the Comprehensive Perl Archive and Network. Based on previous discussions, I was led to believe that you (in particular) were planning such a service for the RPG community.

Comment

Top 10 Things RPG Needs

Don't believe the Hype! There won't be one killer programming languague in our career lifetime, JAVA or C#. I agree with Robert Dean there are too many languages already!! There are a lot of us RPG programmers out there and this language certainly is powerful. That's why it is time for a name change to shake some undeserved baggage as only being a report generator. (from programmers whose only exposure was through college RPG II classes.) I use RPG-IV, SQL, Visual Basic, and have looked at JAVA but am waiting. If IBM would create a compiler that would run APG on an X series against DB2 universal that would allow me to stick to the skill set I know best or fits best. (Oh LINUX or MS for the OS.) .NET is comprised of different languages so don't think or act like MS has gotten to one killer language. They are like tools use the one that works best for the task at hand. I know that Visual RPG is there but half-baked. If we could dump the 5250 data stream and go to XML via a browser with go ole APG that would be cool and we wouldn't get that dead end skill set crap or old technology...

Comment

Top 10 Things RPG Needs

As for the FTP function suite, look no further. Scott Klement has already provided the complete open source FTP function library. Open sourced , all user documentation, examples and a quick response in assisting the further addition and improvement of functions.

Comment

Working...
                                X