Bizness in New Orleans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bizness in New Orleans

There's still a question as to whether or not the 9th ward will be built to its previous residential capacity. Most of the 9th ward lies below the water line, and to the best of my knowledge there has been no formal discussions of the building code. I have read about a great deal of criticism on the decision to allow this year's Mardi Gras to proceed. In other words, there is the perception that government is prioritizing the tourist trade over the residents. To show the world that the big easy is alive and well should be a great morale boost, and should be apart from, and not detract from residential concerns. Dave

Comment

Bizness in New Orleans

Tom, you bring me hope. Actually, serious bidness is how I pronounce it, I had kinda Yankeefied it a little buy spelling it bizness, but whether you pronounce it bizness, bidness, business, or commerce. It is what is necessary to bring back this area to what it was 40 years ago, when hope, future and other choice words were used in sentences along with New Orleans. So, I, the owner of the question, want to know what you think about bidness in New Orleans, good...bad...or indiference. If any of you want to talk about building houses, punctuation, or any other non pertinent feathers protruding from your anatomy feel free to do so.... so, grab a lawn chair, reach into that pirogue, move that ice over enough to get yourself a cold Barq's or Dixie, while I put another sack of crawfish on the burner, and we decide where on St. Charles Ave. are we going claim our piece of neutral ground for Mardi Gras, between these serious bidness discussions....

Comment

Bizness in New Orleans

Do these things: 1) Let it go, and don't rebuild. If it floods over, it floods. 2) For anyone coming back to "invest" in the area, make it a law that in the event of another hurricane or levee breaks, the government will pay not a single-penny to cover any losses. For anyone who didn't donate $$ for the cause during the aftermath, keep in mind that if the Feds spend the $200 billion they proposed, then every man, woman, and child will be responsible for $666. So you see, it matters not what you think about it, because you WILL give, and you WILL like it.

Comment

Bizness in New Orleans

I hear you, loud and clear. Re: 1) Interesting. I feel the same way about some of the areas that flooded. But, not about all of them. I just went to Jamaica for a week after Thanksgiving, and when the next hurricane blows away the resort I went to, I sure hope they rebuild it, so that I can go back and dump some more money on them. Re: 2) Really interesting. The government isn't paying a single penny for any of my personal losses, as I have every kind of insurance known to mankind. But, I am glad the government(us, like you-me) are paying for the infrastructure, and are making an attempt at helping people who are in need. Now, I am really interested in where you are from. What kind of natural disasters happen in your neck of the woods? Is it tornadoes, is it earthquakes? Is it ice storms? Is it river flash floods? Or is your area not afflicted with any natural disasters? I would like to know where this area is, so I can make sure that none of my tax dollars go your way....no, really when your area spends my tax dollars I hope it goes to a good cause. Now for the real question for you....how far inland do you propose this no-pay twice zone around the coast of our great country? 10 miles? 20 miles? 30 miles? 40 miles? or 70 miles so that we make sure New Orleans is included, along with New York, Charleston, Miami, Los Angeles, San Francisco, any where in Hawaii, Washington, DC, kinda get the picture? Let us not forget a no-pay twice zone in parallel with all the great flooding rivers that have levees or what ever you call these structures in your area, and lets not forget dams, wasn't there one that just busted a few days ago? How many miles do we exclude there? Enough to include New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Memphis, Cincinnati? How far would that no-pay twice zone be for a fault line? The San Adreas is not the only one, but the only one that comes to mind, surely one strike and you are out is good enough for California? Somehow I don't think that not building anything anywhere around water is the way to fly. From a bidness perspective, locating near water is the way to make money, check your maps. Are you suggesting that we cut off the natural gas that flows thru this area and all of the support that is necesary to pass it thru here? And are you ready to have one of these gasoline refineries in your backyard, when you shut down all of the ones along the river here? Just a little to think about, I am really interested in your thoughts. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Bizness in New Orleans

Good God man, *How in the world* did you get there from where I was?

Comment

Bizness in New Orleans

it's just the start of many more to come for all of us when happy talk meets reality
              Man, that's gonna be a great "TOLD YA!", huh Ralph? Can't wait! ;-)

Comment

Bizness in New Orleans

You have raised an excellent point. When I think of New Orleans, I think of tourism, jazz, and conventions. I don't readily think of oil refineries, and gas pipelines unless it is brought up by others. The ability to deliver oil and gas through pipelines is a necessary part of our infrastructure. Any concern facing the capability of production and delivery must be addressed as part of an overall plan for the area. As I understand it, most of the delivery system is buried underground. How will a future category 5 hurricane affect the system? Dave

Comment

Bizness in New Orleans

I'd much rather be wrong in this one case, Brian.

Comment

Bizness in New Orleans

Ok, so I am a little emotional. 1) you did say don't rebuild...anything... 2) you did say the government would be prohibited from spending any money in the case of a disaster, natural=huricane and manmade=levee... So, under your plan, there is 1)where ever you live,{with full benefits of a government} 2)third world countries {who are still entitled to aid, multiple times} 3)New Orleans {twilight zone, not entitled to government aid....hmmm....} Did I miss anything? Stay with me, now...did I misunderstand you?

Comment

Bizness in New Orleans

The only part underground is the pipeline. The region down here is crisscrossed with pipeline carrying all sorts of stuff to parts unknown. What parts are not underground: the parts that get it to go underground, the treatment or sweetening plants that do something to the gas, I imagine from 'sour' gas to gas that can be used and won't corrode the pipes that carry it. Then every so often down the line there are vents for leaky pipelines and entry points where inspection equipment can be introduced into the pipeline, but my knowledge is very limited, but trust that it is just not a pipe from La, to where ever, that is not vulnerable. Do a search on LOOP and Port Fourchon, this will be enlightening. Think about who mans all of those offshore rigs, and how they get out there. Don't forget the gasoline refineries, I don't know how many, but we have some. And Distribution, name it and we send it. Look up the port of New Orleans. Tourism has turned New Orleans into a third world country. Tourism won't save New Orleans. Tourism is what has put us where we are today.

Comment

Bizness in New Orleans

1) NEW ORLEANS should not be rebuilt with MY TAX DOLLARS. Sorry, I can't do a bold face font---I meant the one city called NEW ORLEANS. 2) If any private entities want to rebuild in NEW ORLEANS, specifically in those areas that reside under sea level, you know, a place where, typically, only a fool would build anything?, then in the case of loses due to a hurricane or levee break, that is, any event that causes it be flooded, then those losses should not be insured with MY TAX DOLLARS. Again, I meant NEW ORLEANS---the one city called NEW ORLEANS. I apologize for giving you cause to create an 1800 word response to my two small points about NEW ORLEANS, you know, the one city called NEW ORLEANS?

Comment

Bizness in New Orleans

As far as I know, there is no such thing as private flood insurance. The government of the United States has accepted the responsibility for flood damage through FEMA. This is not limited to any geographical area within the U.S. You should also be aware that it is the U.S. Army corps of engineers that is responsible for thousands of pieces of infrastructure throughout the U.S. Chances are that you are the direct or indirect recipient of the benefits of government sponsored programs, and will continue to be throughout your life. If my tax dollars can revitalize one of our great cities, and rebuild the economic base, that will ensure the future ability of the citizens of that city to pay their fair share, then I am all for it. Dave

Comment

Bizness in New Orleans

Maybe we could all agree that as US Taxpayers, we should NEVER have to rebuild John Stossel's Beach House AGAIN !! That would be a start. I mean..... Gimme a Break. Mike

Comment

Bizness in New Orleans

You are correct, flood insurance is a government thing that me, you, and osbornew have paid for, are paying for, and will continue to pay for, because doing bidness and having populations that support that bidness will continue to be located near water. I had excluded myself from the insurance calculation because I have never had any flood damage or claims, but have paid flood insurance as long as I can remember. But, even so, I am in proud receipt of many government endeavors, starting with not the least...national defense. So, yes for me or anyone else to say the government doesn't provide anything for me with some else's tax dollars is an over simplification that just doesn't hold 'water'. Same with my tax dollars, if it goes to something worthwhile that is in the long run good for all or us, then I'm for it.

Comment

Bizness in New Orleans

You don't know how helpful your responses have been, and so has everyone else's. You are entitled to your opinion, and to be able to state it, without apology. I personally need to hear opinions like yours, and ones not like yours if they exist, so I can make decisions about what I do in future. I don't need to rebuild, but I have to decide whether or not to stay. I don't think you a fool for your opinion, but I would like to know where you live, because it must be a great and safe place if everyone can build there and not one would be called a fool for building on that spot for any reason, and it also must be a great place if you guys just pay taxes and the govenment doesn't have to help any fools over there. Not all of New Orleans flooded. New Orleans is not the only place that floods. A sensible approach is needed for the future....and that is what I want to talk about. A lot of pain is in that future for many people.

Comment

Working...
                                X