Reinventing the wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reinventing the wheel

the ADS option (Application Dictionary Services) is another $650 USD at the P05 tier. These are in addition to the base ADTS fee of $1200 USD for the P05 tier. Wow. I didn't realize there was a charge for this, thanks Doug. I have not worked in a shop that didn't have it, so I didn't realize that it was an "extra". But even still, the prices you mention sound like a bargain compared to cost of a product like Implementer.

Comment

Reinventing the wheel

It can flip over to something worse than ignorance; a Y2K project floundered because the 'leader' insisted on writing code to get information that Hawkeye Pathfinder had already developed. The reason given: The 'leader' did not trust 'third party' system software. Crazy!!! but sadly true. bobh

Comment

Reinventing the wheel

Susan, "I have not worked in a shop that didn't have the ADTS" I've never worked at one either, but they do exist. Every now and then you'll see posts from people asking how to edit source when SEU doesn't exist... "But even still, the prices you mention are a bargain compared to cost of something like Implementer." Also remember I quoted the lowest P05 tier. At P10 it jumps to $3000 for ADTS, plus $2800 for ADM and $1300 for ADS. At P20 it is is $7850 plus $4600 for ADM and $2100 for ADS. And for those large shops running at P50, it is $29800 for ADTS, plus $10000 for ADM and $4600 for ADS... Doug

Comment

Reinventing the wheel

Nice, Gene. Very nice. These will be added to my list, in some form.

Comment

Reinventing the wheel

I've been collecting these PDM options from Joe, Bret, & Gene. I'll probably stick some or all of them in TechTalk. Anybody else want to join in the fun?

Comment

Reinventing the wheel

I found left over from a previous User, 'SP'. It started PDM! ? bobh

Comment

Reinventing the wheel

To launch Hawkeye from wrkmbrpdm: HF HAWKEYE/DSPOBJU OBJ(&N) OBJTYPE(*FILE) XREFLIB(HAWKEYE) HP HAWKEYE/DSPOBJU OBJ(&N) OBJTYPE(*PGM) XREFLIB(HAWKEYE)

Comment

Reinventing the wheel

Ted, I use the PDM options sometimes to submit things to batch. I also prompt a command with some of the parameters already entered. Here are some examples. Option . . . . . . . . : CC Command . . . . . . . . : SBMJOB CMD(QSYS38/CRTCBLPGM PGM(&L/&N) SRCFILE(&L/QCBLSRC) SRCMBR(&N)) JOB(CRTCBLPGM) Option . . . . . . . . : HP Command . . . . . . . . : STRINFSKR OPTION(*SHELF) SHELF(MYSHELF) ??SEARCH(' ')

Comment

Reinventing the wheel

Not sure if everyone would, but am happy that Mr. Bill did with his WRKDBF utility. -bret

Comment

Reinventing the wheel

Actually, I hope people do continue to write things that already exist as long as they dont criminalise it with copyright infringement and such. This basic nature is what keeps people from becoming stagnant. There is nothing RPG-wise on the /400 that I could not do on the /34. The difference is the enhancements to the syntax. The compiler itself means nothing to me as a PA. Even as a manager, my concern was proper code. I had to ASSUME that IBMs compiler functioned as they said. I could do windows on the /34. The difference now is the operating system handles them and I don't have to build boxes using reverse image constants. Positioning can be handled by the /400 now, where as the /34 I had to position it manually or with some intricate INSFR subroutine processing. -bret

Comment

Reinventing the wheel

Ah, money. In the end, doesn't it always come down to that? DIY or buy a ready-made solutiuon. One way you spend money, the other way, time. But then again, time is money, so that's what it all comes down to. Even if you justify DIY by thinking you're doing it "for your own personal development", doesn't this mean "to make myself more marketable"? Or am I being too cynical?

Comment

Reinventing the wheel

Joe, QC=Call QCMD 'Course you knew you could also do an F10 to do the same thing, right? Bill

Comment

Reinventing the wheel

Except that when you come back from F10, it loses your cursor position. With QC, you're returned to your original place. QC is for the TRULY lazy, or at least those of us who really, really rely on type-ahead >grin<. Joe

Comment

Reinventing the wheel

This has been an interesting thread, here's some of my PDM shortcuts I use every day: When I have to create an AFPDS printfile AF CRTPRTF FILE(&L/&N) SRCFILE(&L/&F) SRCMBR(*FILE) DEVTYPE(*AFPDS) Delete ALL of my spool files DQ DLTSPLF FILE(*SELECT) SELECT(TWINCHES *ALL) Clear most messages from my queue CM CLRMSGQ MSGQ(TWINCHES) CLEAR(*KEEPUNANS) Quick signoff QQ SIGNOFF LOG(*NOLIST) We bought the Questview utility (couldn't live without it V AQUESTVIEW/VIEW FILE(*LIBL/&N) A home grown job that hilites comments lines in DDS, RPG and COBOL HI CALL PGM(UT002M) PARM(&L &F &N &S 'WHT') Another home grown job to convert member lines to lower case LC CALL PGM(UT009M) PARM(&L &F &N &S 'L')

Comment

Reinventing the wheel

We had a developer so dumb he was re-inventing the lever. How about PDM option PS = PWRDWNSYS *IMMED RESTART(*NO) ENDSBSOPT(*NOJOBLOG) or better yet, it calls a program that adopts QSECOFR authority and THEN runs the command....

Comment

Working...
                                X