Reinventing the wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reinventing the wheel

Just for the record, Susan - ADM does not come with the AS/400. In fact PDM does not come with the AS/400. These are options which must be purchased separately from the OS. Dave

Comment

Reinventing the wheel

Sounds like another one for the NIH story files. Dave

Comment

Reinventing the wheel

I use RZ for RGZPFM filename KEYFILE(*FILE) in WRKOBJPDM. Dave

Comment

Reinventing the wheel

Did you know you could put comments in the PDM options file?
           __ JC /* Copy member to IFS */ CPYTOSTMF FROMMBR('/QSYS.LIB/&L.LIB __ JD /* Display IFS java file */ DSPF STMF('/bmorris/&N.java') __ JG /* Get java signatures */ QSH CMD('javap -s &N') __ JH /* Get JNI .H file */ QSH CMD('javah &N') __ JJ /* compile java class */ QSH CMD('javac -g &N.java') __ JV /* Run a java class */ JAVA CLASS(&N) CLASSPATH('/bmorris/') 
          Hiker's motto: Never lose altitude My motto: Never waste keystrokes I have a zillion options, some bizarrely specific that are leftover from a one-time need, most in constant use. I just added QC - I always did F10 before, but not having the cursor move ... ahhhh. Barbara

Comment

Reinventing the wheel

We have a bunch of mainframe-ers who refuse(?) to learn the 400 commands and their simple structure. So one of them has re-created commands by duplicating the command into his library, and changing the default values. So signoff has become BY STRPDM is PDM and I guess he forgot BY existed, so he created OFF to Signoff. Trevor

Comment

Reinventing the wheel

Here's a few of mine. Some here think I'm crazy, but I can't stand filling in the same command options more than a couple of times:
               AL - addlible &L CP - crtpgm &L/&N module(&L/&N*) entrymod(&N) CS - crtsrvpgm &L/&N module(&L/&N) export(*all) DF - dltf &L/&N DL - dspsplf &N splnbr(*last) DP - dltpgm &L/&N DV - dltsrvpgm &L/&N EA - edtobjaut &L/&N objtype(&t) ED - enddbg IZ - inzpfm &L/&N totrcds(1) LL - dsplibl OL - wrkobjlck &L/&N objtype(&T) RG - rclactgrp QILE SD - sbmdbjob file(&L/&F) mbr(&N) SD - strdbg &L/&N opmsrc(*yes) updprod(*yes) SL - crtrpgmod &L/&N srcfile(&L/&F) option(*seclvl *nogen) SP - wrksplf WA - wrkactjob WC - wrkcfgsts WN - wrknetf WQ - wrkobjpdm qtemp WS - wrksbmjob 
              An interesting thread. I thought I always noticed when I do the same thing over and over, but I've seen a few here that made me hit my forehead and immediately add them (like XL = dltsplf). Wheee!

Comment

Reinventing the wheel

Joe, I prefer the *NOGEN method because it doesn't actually create the program object (assuming the compile is successful) and is therefore quicker and uses less system resources. Scott Mildenberger

Comment

Reinventing the wheel

Barbara asked: Did you know you could put comments in the PDM options file? Yes, I knew that. But for some reason, it never occurred to me to put them in front of the command. I always put them after.

Comment

Reinventing the wheel

Hmm. I copy commands and change the defaults. PDM can't handle everything, and you're not always on a PDM screen. I copy WRKMBRPDM and WRKOBJPDM to WM and WO. And I have a version of CPYF: CPYFNOCHK with MBROPT(*ADD) TOMBR(*FROMMBR) CRTFILE(*NO) FMTOPT(*NOCHK). Well, I try not to have duplicates like BY and OFF (duh). But my PDM options file is full of duplicates for things I only need temporarily. Who uses STRPDM anyway? WRKMBRPDM/WRKOBJPDM/WRKLIBPDM etc. are only 1 keystroke more, counting choosing an option and pressing enter again, and unless you type _really_ slowly, wrkmbrpdm is quicker. (wm is even quicker, of course.) Barbara

Comment

Reinventing the wheel

But if you put them after, you can't see them on the F16 listing.

Comment

Reinventing the wheel

Who uses STRPDM anyway? You would be surprised. I am working with about 3 dozen people who do. They look at me like I have 3 heads when I use exciting commands like WRKMBRPDM, etc. They very proud of their "BY" command too.

Comment

Reinventing the wheel

I have a zillion options, some bizarrely specific that are leftover from a one-time need, most in constant use. I just added QC - I always did F10 before, but not having the cursor move ... ahhhh. LOL! Thanks for making a tough day a little easier, Barbara. I know exactly that feeling... the "ahhhhh" of learning a new little secret. Gene's spool file commands did the same for me . Nice to know I could give you a little something back for all you've done for us here.

Comment

Reinventing the wheel

I have a few shortcuts. Here are a couple: RP - CRTBNDPGM with all the compiler options set the way I like them CP - CRTPRTF with options set and parameter (with defaults) for page size, overflow, etc. that are different then the command defaults. DQ - CLROUTQ with default set to my personal outq Q1, Q2, etc - CHGSPLFA FILE(*SELECT) SELECT(*CURRENT) OUTQ(USA02PRT03) Each Qn command is for a different OUTQ. Easy way to quickly redirect everything in my outq to a different outq WM - WRKMBRPDM with parms set to my favorite source physical file. ==Scott==

Comment

Reinventing the wheel

OFF was the first command OFFC was the first CPP I ever wrote. In December of 1988, I got tired of keying in SIGNONFF and I rarely used IBM menus. -bret

Comment

Reinventing the wheel

Scott, That defeats the purpose of writing code in ouR PiG. -bret

Comment

Working...
                                X