Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jobs site

David,
    How true! I have three daughters 11, 14 an 17 and it gets very expensive. Especially since the two youngest are on travel basketball and travel softball teams.
    I saw the funniest license plate frame yesterday, it said:
    "Driver carries no cash, he has a daughter."
    Chuck
    "David Abramowitz" <105445.2515@compuserve.com> wrote in message news:1df7d500.28@WebX.WawyahGHajS...
    Joe Pluta wrote: . If your object is solely to make money, then you have different goals than I do. Wait until you have kids :-) Dave

Comment

jobs site

Starting in September, my daughter, and all my money go away to college. DINKS don't seem to understand why they are not appreciated :-). Dave

Comment

jobs site

It's not been long since I've graduated from college and here i am now in the IT industry. I wouldn't be here If my dad didn't sacrifice a lot of his effort (and his money!) to send me to college and for that I will be forever grateful to him I'm sure your daughters feels the same way too....

Comment

jobs site

The term DINKS is an acronym referring to Double Income No Kids. Or empty nesters. Dave

Comment

jobs site

oh! stupid me Sometimes... it is fun to guess what those acronyms means.... however, this time I did not think...I've just assumed it was a name Still my message stands... rica

Comment

jobs site

The www for both rags shows the server to be a Personal Computer. How does the 400 get in the picture. bobh

Comment

jobs site

Bob, I'm vaguely aware that, for example, an .asp extension would show that the page was probably generated with ASP in a Microsoft IIS server running under Windows, although I've read of a port of ASP to Unix, but other than that I don't know what in the URL indicates a PC is serving the page. I'm assuming your statement was saying that you think the jobs site on the "other" rag is served from a PC. The Jobs400 site is on an AS/400 and a PC is not involved. The web pages are HTML, CSS, and Javascript code that have been edited with a Windows Notepad type editor and stored on the AS/400 IFS directory to be retrieved and served by the AS/400 web server. The logo at the bottom of the jobs site home page says "Powered by Strategi", which is an AS/400 only web server from Advanced BusinessLink. There's a feedback link at the site. Maybe you can suggest they edit the HTML with a Java editor application and get that pesky PC completely out of the picture. oops, pictures. Anyone for a GDDM graphics editor to replace Photoshop? Ralph

Comment

jobs site

MC is using something called Web Crossing 4.0 and News400 is IIS from "Slick Willie" Gates. I don't think it's from my ISP; they're on Novell/Solaris. If it's of interest, I'll snip you a copy of the HTML script. bobh

Comment

jobs site

The title for that address is and I assume a [sic] on WebspeherePro; 'cause I don't think my software is smart enough to misspell something. bobh

Comment

jobs site

forgot to take the tags off [] I'll see if brackets does the trick. bobh

Comment

jobs site

2nd try The header shows -- without the less-than and greater-than things -- title WebspeherePro /title bobh

Comment

jobs site

Oh, ok, Bob, I see your point that the HTML header contains type of system serving it. The Jobs400 site is accessed by a link on the Jobs400 graphic. You are then transported to an AS/400 while you're in Jobs400. All web serving, jobs/resumes processing, profile creation and maintenance, search robots, personal InBox storage, and identification of resources within user specified number of miles of a location is performed on an AS/400. The URL during that time is something like www/businesslink.com/jobs, which is the AS/400. This is not speculation, Bob. All that I described above is done in RPG, which I wrote, but which any of us could have written. It's just like any other database processing. Ralph

Comment

jobs site

"All web serving, jobs/resumes processing, profile creation and maintenance, search robots, personal InBox storage, and identification of resources within user specified number of miles of a location is performed on an AS/400. The URL during that time is something like www/businesslink.com/jobs, which is the AS/400." I did this once before. I stated this in a way that makes it sound like the web server itself is written in RPG. I meant that the web server and all server jobs run on the AS/400, and that all the web site functionality is written in RPG. Actually, there is one Java server program and one RPG III server program, and the rest are in ILE RPG. However, all of them could have been written in any one language. The server programs cooperatively message each other to get additional info as programmed to handle messages from web pages, but often a message (also known as an opcode call, call with DS parm, or call via dataq) is handled entirely within the originally called server program. There is also a distinction here between one instance of all the server programs in the system (they are never ending jobs that loop on RCVDTAQ or equivalent) versus multiple instances of any one of these server programs to provide increased scalability. Also, I typoed the link. It's something like www.businesslink.com/jobs. Ralph

Comment

jobs site

I have often mentioned an AS/400 jobs site I worked on, even earlier today as a matter of fact. If you happen to run across a new AS/400 jobs site on the net somewhere, that's the one I've been talking about. It just went into service. That's the stability of AS/400 messaging servers, only 12,000 lines of RPG in all (as well as a few thousand lines Java admin server written by a colleague), that I wrote almost a year ago and has required no change since then even as screens were tweaked. Ralph

Comment

jobs site

Ralph, If IBM had continued to properly develop GDDM, the answer to your question could have been yes. Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X