Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Access in AS/400 Shops??? Why/why not???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frank asked: "Just curious, Ralph, given the current state of OfficeVision, what word processing package do you recommend for green screen users or if they need word processing should they have a PC? And for that matter, what spreadsheet package do you recommend? The real questions here are - how far has Microsoft gotten into your shop/shops and how much further do you think Microsoft will get?" I'm under the gun and behind schedule, Frank, and you have to go and ask all these good questions! This whole area is a fascinating subject. I'll throw some thoughts out here but I'm not going to be able to answer your questions well enough. Maybe we'll get some more ideas thrown in as well. I administered an OfficeVision system when I was QSECOFR of an AS/400 for an insurance company about ten years ago. We used the formatting and data merge of OV/400 to send letters out to customers. It worked well, but I recall some meetings we had to decide on a word processing system prior to developing the bulk of our OV/400 stuff. We used WordPerfect (DOS, 5.1 or so I think) in the office and looked carefully at WordPerfect for the AS/400. It was a hog. I don't recall the other options, but when I brought up OV/400 and prototyped a document with data merge, it was a no brainer. They said why would anybody use anything else? Because IBM is discontinuing it? Well, the days of WordPerfect in the office are over thanks to a great deal of confusion over OS/2 versus Windows that Microsoft had no incentive to dispel. Along with Microsoft's uninnovative competence was extraordinarily incompetent and arrogant competition from the likes of IBM, Lotus, Novell, WordPerfect, then IBM/Lotus and Novell/WordPerfect, then Corel/WordPerfect, and now Microsoft/Corel. Oops, Microsoft is not competing with itself now, or is it? Somehow I doubt it. The short amswer is that Microsoft formats are the universal office solution. However, it is not well understood that powerful alternatives exist to work with those Word, Excel, and Powerpoint formats. The feature set and intregration are mature these days, but the M$ cost is now exorbitant. M$ counts on Office to contribute 40% to 50% of profits for Microsoft overall, and if you'ver ever tried to purchase Word or Excel by itself you can see how they meter out this cash cow. For any company that can remember that their employees were smart enough to adapt from DOS WordPerfect to Windows Word, there is Corel WordPerfect Office 2002. I personally have purchased this. At my job, we have Office 97. WordPerfect Office is Word format compatible and has all those WordPerfect touches that made it a standard in offices until the world was assimilated. Quattro Pro has always been a superior spreadsheet, and is now Excel format compatible. There's a presentation package that is Powerpoint compatible. The whole suite now follows Office conventions for getting around, scripting, etc., and is web enabled. The suite is arguably superior and at $150 is 1/3 or 1/4 the cost of Office in the superstores. For even more fun, StarOffice 5.1 can be downloaded for free or obtained on a CD-ROM. This office suite is Word, Excel, and Powerpoint compatible as well and can be freely installed on Windows or Linux. Linux with KDE Konqueror browser and StarOffice is free, open source, and Office format compatible. A new componentized version of StarOffice 6.0 is forthcoming, and this will fit in nicely with peer to peer collaboration. M$ will generate heretofor unseen levels of FUD as they will now be fighting for the very existence of their chokehold around every PC user, all to no avail. Their bluff has been called, their monopolist tactics proved, their evil exposed. Corel, in addition to selling a competing Office suite for Windows, was the main corporate sponsor of an effort to port a Windows infrastructure to Linux in a project called Wine. M$ just invested in Corel, one of their last competitors, one of the few still surviving, and lo and behold, Corel is no longer working to make Windows programs work under Linux. Imagine that. And as a grand finale, M$ seek to steal instant messaging from AOL and media playing from RealPlayer in one fell swoop in XP, coming to a store near you in October. This using the same technique as they used to steal the browser from Netscape, copy the idea and gice it away for free in Windows, make the people fight through M$ deceit to get to their software. And now M$ is attaching an umbilical cord to Windows XP so you have to call home to use it. And call home again if you open up your PC and change a piece of hardware. Any piece. Anything. This makes the old DOS copy protection look benevolent. As for the replacement of OV/400, the one solution that has been mentioned repeatedly as a Word oriented program sounded fine to me. Were there drawbacks to it? I remember a post that listed a couple, but then I've seen other posts since then that seemed to address them. What's the status of this alternative? Also, the posts about reinstalling OV/400 seemed to indicate it still runs, although technically unsupported. Why would anyone need support if it still runs? I wouldn't worry about it until an OS version breaks it, and even then I'd keep a small box at the older release and run it with DDM against your newer production AS/400's. M$ can't get any farther than they have got. They would own our minds outright to get any further, rather than the substantial mindshare they currently have. They have reached their peak, and are now in a downward spiral. Windows 2000 went nowhere, and XP is a desperate grab to nonopolize the Internet as they have the desktop. But the light is shining on this scam, and the US government, 19 states, and the European Union will not let it happen. I personally propose that M$ be required to release Windows 98 SE, including IE 3.0, under the GPL, including all source required to create the programs as shipped by M$. This creates the only competition possible for running Windows programs on newly purchased PC's, a competition that M$ prevents by not allowing former versions of Windows to be sold on new PC's (or makes economically unfeasible with prohibitive pricing). This solution takes discarded technology from M$, much of which was established with illegal business practices, and puts on the market an alternatice to new M$ initiatives that require no further government or industry oversight of conduct remedies, nor a breakup to create multiple monopolies. It creates a free alternative in recognizing that the monopoly is maintained by virtue of being impractical to purchase a new PC without M$'s latest control mechanism. An open source GPL'd Windows 98 SE with Internet Explorer both redeems M$, and is nothing for it to fear if in fact people really do prefer their version of innovation. Ralph

Comment

What you have to keep in mind is that always some sort of system already in place. Typical examples are the giant tracking spreadsheet with 50 columns that you have to print out and paste together with scotch tape or the directories filled with 1000 similar spreadsheet files each just slightly different than the last. If youve ever been in an office where the giant tracking spreadsheet sheet expert just quit youd understand what chaos was. Any database system - no matter how amatuerish is better than that. There are of course many examples like the ones you cited of silly development projects. These are usually part of an attempt to either reengineer a company or else a back door attempt to try to get the users to do some task they have previously been ignoring. Since they are based on dreams and not reality they usually fail. Folks who have become used spend their days staring at green screens have a hard time realizing how unnatural, confusing, and mentally draining it is for most folks who only deal with computers occasionally. We no longer develop systems that are only used by administrative staff who get used to those screens over time. If you are trying to create systems that are useful to everyone in the company you have got to use other tools. Any "living" computer system has to be able to grow and adapt. An Access system that I create in a week will over time either expand in features and include more "professional touches" or die from lack of interest. Many of the problems that arise from Access systems come from the fact the we insist on trying to be able to create them and then forget them. So we spend a lot of money on a big bang solution by some outside consultant and have no money left over to fix it when its not right. Since like most legacy systems our AS400 system is a "dead" system which rarely changes something else has to take up the challenge of adapting to changes in the real world. Typically that is some combination of Excel, Access, and various shrink wrap software. Although I like Access that doesn't mean I'm happy about the slow death of the AS400. If the data on the AS400 wasn't guarded so zealously it could be a much bigger part of new solutions. I spend much of my time writing systems just trying to make the legacy data useful to someone other than the accountants. But its a one way street and I can't provide better ways to put data into the AS400 or new data on the AS400. So the only option left to me is to help speed up the death of the AS400 by putting new data somewhere else.[/i]

Comment

So in the world according to Ralph, we won't have to learn any of that pesky OO or web stuff, or even that annoying client/server stuff. Green screens and RPG will finally be recognized and adopted by the the entire IT community. Microsoft will crumble, Word Perfect will be placed on its rightful throne. Office Vision will win technical excellence awards and be re-introduced. If it wasn't for the fact that 90% of the posters will weigh in and give you a right on, this would be hysterical!

Comment

Mike wrote: "So in the world according to Ralph, we won't have to learn any of that pesky OO or web stuff, or even that annoying client/server stuff. Green screens and RPG will finally be recognized and adopted by the the entire IT community. Microsoft will crumble, Word Perfect will be placed on its rightful throne. Office Vision will win technical excellence awards and be re-introduced. If it wasn't for the fact that 90% of the posters will weigh in and give you a right on, this would be hysterical!" The web stuff is useful in a number of situations. I posted about doing the Jobs400 job site and also about a concurrent catalog order entry system that was integrated to JDE, by one consultant, where Anderson failed after billing for $60 million. A jobs site or a dealer or consumer interface is appropriate for the web. Running your ERP through a web interface because a browser is already in Windows and you can't handle installing a 5250 client is what is hysterical. WordPerfect or StarOffice (under Windows and/or Linux), the Word format for exchanging files is all that is critical. M$ kept that a secret moving target as long as they could. They accomplished their goal of forcing upgrades and gaining a 90%+ market share. It's all downhill from here for them. They've sucked the well dry. We're talking about running existing OfficeVision development, not shooting for technical excellence awards. It costs money to redo a system. You OO people know that better than anyone. Ralph

Comment

Fair enough about the web stuff, but, OO or client/server has no place in Ralph's world? Do you think that 20 years from now you will still be doing green screen/rpg stuff? Will anyone even know what that means 20 years from now? There is also another 400 product (DTS/400) that can be used in place of OV, if a company can find no other way to replace its mail/merge function. Using a product that even IBM doesn't want to have anything to do with, doesn't make much sense.

Comment

Mike wrote: "Do you think that 20 years from now you will still be doing green screen/rpg stuff? Will anyone even know what that means 20 years from now?" That's what they said about Cobol on all platforms. Can you say "Y2K"?

Comment

ooooo, taking the COBOL defense should make you feel warm and fuzzy. I'm proud to be an RPG'er cause we're not quite as archaic as COBOL'ers!

Comment

Mike wrote: "Fair enough about the web stuff, but, OO or client/server has no place in Ralph's world? Do you think that 20 years from now you will still be doing green screen/rpg stuff? Will anyone even know what that means 20 years from now?" I did a very nice client/server app in Delphi awhile back. Pure messaging, but took advantage of a rich GUI interface (unlike a browser). Also by definition OO, although there wasn't any particular OO feature involved. The messaging I did there is very similar to that used in Jobs400 web pages, and messaging has been talked about pretty extensively here. I think it'd be great if IBM did the right thing and took the EXFMT call and made it a messaging portal. They're doing it behind the scenes for Webfacing, they've winked at our good friends Jacada having the seagull... oops, I mean gall... to patent said attempt at a portal. The shame. IBM cares way more about locking you into Websphere than on making any intelligent decisions concerning the future of the AS/400. But yes, I've posted extensively about a changing the 5250 data stream to XML (for programmer extensibility) and displaying to a Java client where the normal GUI components can be extended to custom processing for the app (as designated in the XML stream). Dumbing down ERP screens to a baby web page interface is just dumb. The only reason to do it is for an extended user base through the net, and pushing internal ERP screens out to a business partner/customer base is doubly dumb. I sincerely hope that the dense amount of data in a 5250 screen is very soon displayed to a desktop client that can do the data justice (as in the leading ERP's - those that don't work on the AS/400 - have been doing) and that it soon becomes merely a base for user initiated tangents. That requires implementing an advanced visual interface for the AS/400. As long as IBM thinks a web page is advanced, the AS/400 is doomed. But good questions, Mike. And yes, no matter what, the base subfile 5250 green screen will still be the preferred route for years to come. The only thing that will replace it is an interface that advances that base, not dumbs it down. Ralph P.S. I do sympathize with all those that have attempted to do business process programming with a browser. It all sounds cool, even to the users, until you try to do it. Oracle and Peoplesoft have done it, I'm still looking for word that it has been successful but so far have seen just the opposite, even just a couple of days ago yet another missive against Oracle 11i from the user base.

Comment

I was not taking a shot at RPG, Cobol, or OO developers. The point was, Mike, that legacy code seems to hang around forever.

Comment

Sadly, I agree with you Ralph. Client/server is a big jump for a green screen shop. OO is a seeminglying unsurmountable/unthinkable task. Websphere is just too expensive (in $'s and overhead) a proposition to tempt many shops into experimenting with it. In the future, 75% of the 400 shops will be doing the same thing, the same way they are doing it today. You've said it yourself several times and it bears repeating: the 400 needs a native GUI interface. Until it has one, it will be a quaint platform that its adherents will love to death.

Comment

Frank Soltis came up with the coolest architecture. It is often said in discussions about homebrewed OS'es that an OS doesn't do that much. They just don't know what a real OS looks like... Ralph

Comment

You're absolutely right Susan. It does hang around forever and that's not necessarily a bad thing. There are billions of $'s invested in creating/maintaining it and for the most part, it works fine. The tricky part is deciding on how to develop your systems today. If you decide on a new tool, you still have to maintain your old code. If you decide to stick with your old code, you have to figure out a way to keep the old programmers around to maintain it. I don't believe any language is necessarily good or bad. We all believe that whatever language we're currently working with and understand is the best. I just want to be able to work somewhere in the future and I don't want to be an old cranky knee slapper in the backroom!

Comment

Mike,
                            Thegui interface (from an application standpoint) for the AS/400 is the same as it is for any other platform: A Browser.
                            Anyone interested in low cost of training of their end users should spend the investment of upgrading their programmers to presenting data in a browser format. If you have a user community that's been around for many years and they feel comfortable with the un-intuitive green screen environment then stick with green screen for now and transition to browser base as you can. Green screen is a very costly investment when it comes to end user training, but it's cheaper in programmer resources.
                            As for client/server, that's been dead for a long while now and I wouldn't invest in it at all. Stick with thin client browser environments for future training and development.
                            chuck
                            Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.
                            Sadly, I agree with you Ralph. Client/server is a big jump for a green screen shop. OO is a seeminglying unsurmountable/unthinkable task. Websphere is just too expensive (in $'s and overhead) a proposition to tempt many shops into experimenting with it. In the future, 75% of the 400 shops will be doing the same thing, the same way they are doing it today. You've said it yourself several times and it bears repeating: the 400 needs a native GUI interface. Until it has one, it will be a quaint platform that its adherents will love to death.

Comment

Susan, the disappearance of AS/400 programming jobs, along with the AS/400 themselves, is what keeps me worried and carrying on about getting IBM to do something before it's too late. This web stuff or even Java being the future is just hilarious, as if the OS is not just as important if not more so. Anybody who has been out there looking knows that a shop is Sun or Windows or HP or AIX or AS/400 or mainframe, and then believe it or not, subcategories just as important such as Oracle or ERP's with their own language, such as SAP, Peoplesoft, and OneWorld. Web pages are generated in as many ways as there are environments. This universal programming language stuff, you're gold anywhere, is a bunch of crap. Sure, someone who works hard enough at Java to be good enough to hire across environments has earned it, but if that environment is Oracle/Unix for example, there's two more major learning curves to go through before the crossover can take place. C++ is maybe the one technology that ensures crossover, but even then Windows32 API calls are far different from Unix API calls. Generating a web page, and the little idiosyncratic baby scripts involved with it, is trivial compared to everything else involved in crossing over. And cross over we must if we're not working in RPG or COBOL on the AS/400. Oh, I'm going to go be a web page developer on the AS/400. Yeah, right. These people need to get a clue. Ralph

Comment

Chuck: It would be real nice to convince an as/400 shop that they should become browser-based. My point has been that it's near impossible. Client/server (yes, it is over 20 years old) seems to be the best first step and it's like pulling teeth. How do you propose that 400 shops adopt anything besides good old 5250 data stream presented on a text-based green screen? If I came to work at your shop today as an accounting clerk, what kind of screen would I see to do my accounting work?

Comment

Working...
                                X