AS/400 name change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AS/400 name change?

Has anyone heard that the AS/400 will have a name change? The RS/6000 as well, will be renamed I hear. This will be an effort by IBM to clarify it's server line. The image associated with the name AS/400 apparently is too negative to change with advertising dollars. Some type of effort to consoladate marketing dollars with AIX is in the works. Does anyone has anymore info on the timing of this?

AS/400 name change?

Is it possible that the consolidation will be more hardware than not? The 400 -- for some years -- has had an erzatz UNIX running. IN one large print ad there was a full page of S/390 blah-de-blah and all the other IBM stuff. Not one word about the 400. I think it possible that IBM will sell the 400 technology. IMHO, FWIW bobh

Comment

AS/400 name change?

This rumor has been circulating for quite awhile. Give it enough time, and eventually it will become fact. The truth is, that IBM wanted to change the name when the RISC boxes were introduced, but feared backlash from the existing customer base. That makes this story five years old. Dave

Comment

AS/400 name change?

Agreed - this story is 5 years old. Conclusion - the Rumor Mill needs more contributors!

Comment

AS/400 name change?

Forgive me, I did not realize this has been so well known for the last five years. I am afraid I have nothing else to contribute except that the new name may revolve around the Netfinity or Websphere brand names. I guess that is probably old news too. My ignorance might be excused for I am relatively new to the AS/400, only a little more than 2 years now. Our parent company started rolling them out 3 years ago, but stopped after a few implementations (that were successfull!). Too bad, I have become quite a fan. I am hoping that new initiatives from IBM may save us from having to convert to coorporates' new Oracle direction.

Comment

AS/400 name change?

I've never even seen an Oracle screen, but from what I've read Oracle apps on Unix were equivalent to green screen apps on the AS/400. Ellison has acknowledged that their client/server initiative to replace those screens, which has been scrapped, was an unmitigated disaster. Their new 8i is equivalent to Websphere as far as I can tell, and probably not as standards based to J2EE (read Open). DB2 is more universal than Oracle, and last year a $100 million National Security System done with Oracle was scrapped. Rather than question the scalability and development environments of Oracle and try DB2, they are spending $300 million to redo the system, with Oracle again... I don't see many initiatives IBM can take that they haven't done already. They stay Open, adhering to standards, and presumably the only interface with which to develop is Java windowed programs and HTML web pages. Meanwhile, Oracle has a proprietary interface, with web pages and Java as well, but a branded recognizable proprietary interface, and waltzes away with most significant new business, confirmed by even the most rudimentary of searches. But ask corporate America who is more Open, Oracle/Unix or Websphere-AS/400, and the answer is... "what's a Websphere? AS/400?" Ralph

Comment

AS/400 name change?

How about CompUSA is buying the 400 program from IBM. bobh

Comment

AS/400 name change?

At the InterAction conference in Melbourne earlier this week, either Frank Soltis or Malcolm Haines (AS400 Marketing) said in their key-note addresses that all IBM machines would have a name change within the year. Can't remember which one said it - may have been both.

Comment

AS/400 name change?

Speaking of Oracle, I need to blow a little steam!!! My corporation has decided to dive head first into the Oracle realm. Our main platform is currently the AS/400. When any of us ask upper mgmt why Oracle is incomming, we hear "It's for our new customer profile database." And I fire back with "Did you know that DB2 is available for the AS/400?" Then listen for a response but get nothing. Has anybody else seen this in their shop? What is going on here that I just cant see light of? Does mgmt know something that I don't? Oh yes, and I forgot the best part. When interviewing the new Oracle DBA, nobody knew what to ask applicants because we have no idea what a DBA should be doing. I knew you would like that one. Sincerely, One discouraged AS/400 guy.

Comment

AS/400 name change?

Going from DB2/400 to Oracle, Hmmmmm. . . ..Your company must like spending more money than it has to? Dave

Comment

AS/400 name change?

Didn't COMPUSA recently declare bankruptcy? The idea of selling AS/400's in a retail outlet is interesting. - A sure fire idea to kill the AS/400 once and for all. Dave

Comment

AS/400 name change?

You need an Oracle DBA. Oracle just can't match the features of DB2/400, so they have to be programmed manually. Things like automatic space allocation, security, disk placement, performance tuning, and other mundane maintenance items. Years ago, automobiles started with a crank, after flipping a manual starter. The choke had to be hand operated, and of course you needed to double clutch to get into first gear. Well, , , you still have to do all of that with Oracle. Guess they can't keep up with the newer AS/400 technology. Dave

Comment

AS/400 name change?

J V - Now that's the good solid rumor contribution that this forum really does need. Can anyone else confirm what J V heard? --------------------------- Bruce - This thread is beginning to get more interesting! Glad you started it. Based on what J V says, this thread may be receiving contributions for close to a year. It will be interesting to watch.

Comment

AS/400 name change?

I heard it from two sources. 1)A consultant who was doing research for our company into hardware platform futures 2)A contract programmer who heard it from a top IBMer at the Common Users Group in California. Does anyone else attend Common? Is it worth the time? David A. - thank you very much for the Oracle insights. Do you know of any URLs that I might tap into that could provide me some of this knowledge? I am talking about insights into what Oracle IS NOT, as opposed to the plentiful propaganda about what it is.

Comment

AS/400 name change?

CompUSA was recently purchased by the owner of the Mexican TELCO. Right after he fired 18 VPs including 4 in DP, he scrapped a PC server thing with SAP after multi-million dollars cost overruns. Word is he is buying a big 400 or two... I don't think the 400 is quite ready for prime time at the 7-11 but I know anyone could do a better marketing job on the 400 than IBM. That's a fact. IMNSHO, bobh

Comment

Working...
                              X