AS/400 name change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AS/400 name change?

IBM put out (but never published) a task comparison paper between DB2, and Oracle. The first set of tasks were those necessary to get a database started. The DB2 side had five, and the Oracle side had thirty seven. The other task comparisons were similar. This paper may be floating around the web somewhere, but I do not know where it is. Dave

Comment

AS/400 name change?

Bob hamilton wrote: I don't think the 400 is quite ready for prime time at the 7-11 I dunno Bob, with remote POSs attached to a centrally located 400, I think you could do a lot worse. but I know anyone could do a better marketing job on the 400 than IBM. Ditto. I just put down an internet magazine. You would think that IBM would advertise the AS/400 web server capabilities in this mag, yet there is not one word, in an article, or advertisement. It's as if the AS/400 does not exist in the E-world. Dave

Comment

AS/400 name change?

I Meant, on the counter -- for sale-- along with Fritos and Dr Pepper. ALSO: It appears the 400 does not exist at Armonk, even. bobh

Comment

AS/400 name change?

Bob Hamilton wrote: It appears the 400 does not exist at Armonk This does not surprise me in the least. Have you seen IBM's TV ads for web scalability? I have, , ,they are impressive, and give the impression that IBM's total ability to serve the web is based on UNIX, and nothing else. Dave

Comment

AS/400 name change?

That comment that Frank Soltis made (I remember it was he that said it now) about all IBM machines getting renamed within a year, was an aside during a talk about running UNIX on the AS/400, Linux in particular, as well as running NT on Power PC chips. He even said that he had managed to run a single-user version of OS/400 on a think-pad - but that IBM hadn't yet made a business case for its viability. He also mentioned that IBM wanted to focus on scalability. But this is where I wander off into speculation land. I got the impression that if Frank Soltis had his way, IBM would de-couple all their operating systems from hardware, and offer the whole machine line-up, from PCs to S/390, as one family of non OS-specific platforms. Hence the machine name changes - all the processors would get the same name. As for OS/400, UNIX, Linux, MVS, NT even - just roll them off a CD onto the appropriately sized box. With logical partitioning, you could say goodbye to all your NT servers. And if you could still access your NT databases, even though NT itself had decided not to run anymore, maybe you might start using another OS that's still up and going.

Comment

AS/400 name change?

Your speculation makes a lot of sense. One box/multiple operating systems. I wonder if Common in Fall or V5.0 will be trigger events for the announcement? I welcome a name change and hope that it helps to save the AS/400 in my company. I wonder what the attitude of users of the other platforms will be?

Comment

AS/400 name change?

In June, I asked Frank Soltis if IBM was planning on combining the RS/6000 and the AS/400 into a single platform running both OS's. He said that this was possible to do today since they are in fact the same machine under the OS (which we knew anyway). He even went so far as to say that he'd like to see that. But, he said that if IBM is making more money selling an RS/6000 AND an AS/400, then there'd be no economic reason to combine them into one platform. He said it'll all come down to whether or not IBM as a corporation feels it can make more money with two boxes, a combined box, or just rebranding. The question also came up, and I forget who it was that answered it, about changing the name of the AS/400. They said that at that time (this was in June), IBM had no plans to change it's name, although the possibility of rebranding the AS/400 for marketplace visibility had been discussed internally, at length. Now...having said all that, I just heard a rumor last week that the AS/400 will in fact be rebranded (renamed), perhaps as early as October to coincide with COMMON. So far this is just a rumor. I have been unable to confirm it.

Comment

AS/400 name change?

Shannon O'Donnell wrote: I just heard a rumor last week that the AS/400 will in fact be rebranded (renamed), perhaps as early as October to coincide with COMMON. If this is true, it may offer an opportunity for the AS/400 community to suggest a name. One possibility might be: Chameleon - because marketing and advertising for the product are so well hidden! Dave

Comment

AS/400 name change?

According to the July 31st issue of InfoWorld the AS/400 was renamed the AS/400e.

Comment

AS/400 name change?

ah....of course...

Comment

AS/400 name change?

Rumor is S/390 will be star-stream. It must be wunnerful to be as big as Big Blue and not have anything but a name to worry about. bobh

Comment

AS/400 name change?

Bob, That's Deep Blue..... Bret

Comment

AS/400 name change?

Here's something with some substance - From an INFORMATIONWEEK (7/31/00) article titled "A New Lineup for IBM" - "Sources say Gerstner and Palmisano have all but signed off on a plan to unify IBM's Netfinity, RS/6000, AS/400, and mainframe servers under a single brand by the fourth quarter. The goal: reduce confusion over IBM's byzantine product lineup." Notice that it says "a single brand" not "a single name". I dunno if that means an IBM Netfinity AS/400 or what . . . FWIW, Steve

Comment

AS/400 name change?

FWIW, I stumbled on this at the comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc newsgroup (actually the first time I have ever looked at it). "From today's Search400.com daily news: "IBM to bestow new name on AS/400" According to IBM consultant, Al Barsa, Big Blue has plans to change the name of the AS/400 to I/500. The name change is expected to be official within the next several weeks. The RS/6000, S/390, and Netfinity platforms are also expected to get new names." Joe

Comment

AS/400 name change?

stay tuned to MC Net News and Timothy Prickett Morgan for the details. He's been working on this for a couple of weeks.

Comment

Working...
                                X