Netserver: A tale of woe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netserver: A tale of woe

I am trying to get a print share to work utilizing the Netserver utility and it just isn't working as it should. Through many iterations of experiments, we are now able to Ping the Netserver. BUT, it doesn't show up in the "Find Computer" utility. So, we won't be able to cconnect to the shared printer until it does. (Just specifying the \sysnameprintshare doesn't work either). All of the troubleshooting documents at IBM handle how to get a ping to occur, or how to get the share to happen, but totally skip over this scenario where the ping is successful yet the server doesn't show up in Find. Any ideas? Bill

are you talking AS400 Netserver? Have you set it to your domain/workgroup? or are you at a remote store? If at a remote you may need wins running somewhere to carry the name.

Comment

Are you using Operations Navigator to set up Netserver?

Comment

Yes.

Comment

are you talking AS400 Netserver? Yes. Have you set it to your domain/workgroup? Yes, to the domain. or are you at a remote store? No. Bill

Comment

Are there any errors in the system messages to do with as400 network neighbourhood? Silly question...please don't be offended... is it showing started in the operations navigater servers list? you might try using the ip address instead of the system name when mapping if it's still not showing up.

Comment

Are there any errors in the system messages to do with as400 network neighbourhood? No. If I look at the job log for QNPSERVD there are some messages, but I have been lead to believe that they are because we are not running IPX.
               Job 292492/QUSER/QNPSERVD started on 11/14/00 at 16:06:03 in subsystem QSYSWRK in QSYS. Job entered system on 11/14/00 at 16:06:03. Job 292492/QUSER/QNPSERVD submitted. Object changed. Object changed. The protocol required to support the specified address family is not available at this time. Host server communications error occurred on socket() - spx family. Host server communications error occurred on SSL_Init_Application().
              Silly question...please don't be offended... is it showing started in the operations navigater servers list? Absolutely. you might try using the ip address instead of the system name when mapping if it's still not showing up. Tried it, no change. Bill

Comment

You've got me stumped then. I have never had the problem yet. if I find anything I think will help I'll post. Best of luck. Sorry I couldn't help. Shawne

Comment

Just wild guess... Is the *PUBLIC authority to the authorization list QPWFSERVER set to *EXCLUDE? This is the "fig leaf" approach to hiding the IFS from users in Network Neighborhood. I've read that setting the *PUBLIC authority to *EXCLUDE can cause some printing problems with NetServer. Chris

Comment

Is the *PUBLIC authority to the authorization list QPWFSERVER set to *EXCLUDE? Nope, it's at *Use. I have put a password on QUser even. The directions originally said that password could be *None, but other documents say that the guest profile MUST have a password to be used with print shares. Bill

Comment

Bill - Is your PC's workgroup (under Control Panel/Network/Identification) the same Netserver domain name? Are you using the "Q" name (Q + your system name)? Or just your system name? Are you using a Guest user profile? Or the PC user ID? Sorry for all these questions - there may be more later . . . Steve

Comment

Is your PC's workgroup (under Control Panel/Network/Identification) the same Netserver domain name? For the W98 PC, the workgroup name is not the same as the Netserver's Domain name. For the NT PC, they are the same. (Neither will find the netserver). Are you using the "Q" name (Q + your system name)? Or just your system name? The Q name. Are you using a Guest user profile? Or the PC user ID? Not sure what you mean by "using". The netserver configuration specifies QUser as the guest name. We all sign onto the network with other names. Bill

Comment

Bill - As promised - more questions! Do you have 'Client for Microsoft networks' loaded on the PC(s)? Do you have an entry for the AS/400 in the LMHOSTS file on the PC? (Should be in the Windows directory and look like '999.999.999 AS400 #PRE' where 999.999.999.999 is your /400 IP address, AS400 is your system name, and #PRE is a literal.) Good luck, Steve

Comment

I appreciate it Steve. What you are asking here is necessary to get the Ping to work, which we have. The NT PC needed to have the LMHosts, the W98 did fine without the LMHosts. Bill

Comment

Bill - I understand . . . I'm starting from the PC and working toward the 400 . . . BTW - My W95 systems don't work without LMHOSTS . . . Do you have any sort of firewall (or ??) that restricts ports 8470 - 8479? Thanks, Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X