Netserver: A tale of woe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No. The funny thing is, we had the print share working at one time - without the guest profile - but I wanted it to work with the guest profile. (Yes, I did try it again without the guest and it still didn't work). Bill

Comment

I never could get mine to work without a guest profile - try this: Create a netserver usrprf, set the password = usrprf with no initial menu and initial program = *SIGNOFF, usrcls = *USER and see if you can FIND netserver from the PC. You ARE logging on to the PC with the Windows user name and password, right? Also, verify IP address in HOSTS and/or LMHOSTS . . . Beyond that, I'm running out of ideas . . . HTH, Steve

Comment

Just for kicks, I did what you suggested. No change. What irks me is how the IBM Support Line document reads. "Once the AS/400 Netserver has been added to the DNS, WINS, or LMHOSTS, you can PING and find the AS/400 NetServer." They tie Ping and Find together, so something MUST be weird at my end. Bill

Comment

Bill, Are you at O.S. v4r3? If so, I can share a number of gotchas which may be helpful to you.

Comment

Unfortunately not. I am at V4R4, Cum 25200. Bill

Comment

Bill, Just curious... Did you check your Netserver's Server Name using OPNav? It is not necessarily the same as what is defined in the green screen's CFGTCP. If you haven't, maybe you should try the Find Computer operation again and look for computer QSxxxxxxx where xxxxxxx is the AS/400's serial number.

Comment

Ricardo, Thanks, yes we are looking for the correct name. As recommended by the on-line help documents, there is a message logged to QSysOpr's message queue that lists the NetServer name. And, that equals the Server name specified on the NetServer properties page. Bill

Comment

Bill, Now I remember! I had this same problem when I migrated from Client Access for Win95/NT to Client Access Express. You cannot 'FIND' the Netserver unless you meet the following conditions: 1. You MUST CONNECT (via common user-id) to the AS/400 with a user-id that is EXACTLY THE SAME as your LAN log-in name. 2. Your connected AS/400 user-id's password MUST BE EXACTLY THE SAME as your LAN log-in name's password. 3. Your AS/400 must have an existing file/print share. This is as far as I can go. If you meet all the above conditions and still cannot see the netserver, then sorry, I am stumped!

Comment

Ricardo, Is this documented anywhere? I don't disagree with what you are saying, I actually tend to believe it, BUT, this - to me - goes against being able to use a gues profile and everything I've read on the subject so far. Bill

Comment

Bill - I believe it is correct if you don't specify a Guest profile name in Netserver properties. However, if you DO specify a Guest profile name, this is not necessarily true. Also, if the PC user ID is also a valid AS/400 user ID, I believe the PC user ID takes precedence over the Guest profile. I connect all my users via a Guest profile on Netserver. BTW, are you using DNS, DHCP, or something else? HTH, Steve

Comment

Steve, I believe it is correct if you don't specify a Guest profile name in Netserver properties. However, if you DO specify a Guest profile name, this is not necessarily true. Also, if the PC user ID is also a valid AS/400 user ID, I believe the PC user ID takes precedence over the Guest profile. Makes sense. I connect all my users via a Guest profile on Netserver. I have the opposite situation, if they sign onto both, they have the same profile ID. BUT, they are not guaranteed to have the same password (which is easily remedied). But the users I am performing trials on have the same User ID's and passwords and still no good. I did delete one user's ID to ensure it uses the guest ID, no change (I'm gonna wait a while in case the change needs to percolate down). BTW, are you using DNS, DHCP, or something else? Hmm, the NT server is running DHCP. I -think- the only DNS in the network is being supplied by our ISP. The crazy thing is, we had this working once. We could find the Netserver, but the print share didn't work. I don't know what changed in the week between when we could find it and when we couldn't. Bill

Comment

Bill - From a DOS command window, enter 'nbtstat -c' and check to see if your Netserver name is in the list. If so, enter 'nbtstat -a netservername' where netservername is your Netserver name. If not, enter 'nbtstat -A netserveripaddress' where netserveripaddress is the IP address of your system. Just another straw, Steve

Comment

Steve, From a DOS command window, enter 'nbtstat -c' and check to see if your Netserver name is in the list. Yes, it's there three times. If so, enter 'nbtstat -a netservername' where netservername is your Netserver name. Ick, it replies with garbage: NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table Name Type Status --------------------------------------------- +G±==±)÷±@@@@@@<40> UNIQUE Registered MAC Address = 00-00-00-00-00-00 Have we found a(the) problem? Bill

Comment

Bill - I dunno . . . enter 'nbtstat -R' followed by 'nbtstat -a netservername' and see if that cleans up the 'ick'. If so, click start/find/computer and try to find your Netserver. Steve

Comment

Nope, no change. If I were a guessing man, I would say that that name is the ebcdic representation of the server name. Does your -a screen list the name correctly? Is there a specific TCP service that needs to accompany the netserver start? (NFS, TFTP, etc.) Bill

Comment

Working...
                                X