COMMON Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COMMON Questions

I bet Sister Mary would say "you never paid attention".

Comment

COMMON Questions

mikejsavino said:
      hear this (what us guys have been smoking) is Legal (or decriminalized) in Canada. Izzat True ??
      Not yet. In Canada, any bill that has not been passed when parliament is dissolved has to be reintroduced. We had an election last June and the marijuana bill had not passed before then so it will have to be reintroduced and the whole parliamentary process repeated before it is enacted. According to our prime minister, that will probably happen, but it hasn't happened yet. The bill, if passed, will decriminalize, not legalize, the possession of small amounts of marijuana. I forget what amount they are defining as small and, never having tried the stuff myself - inhaled or not (no, really) - I wouldn't be able to comment on whether the average user would consider it to be a small amount. What decriminalization means, if it happens, is that it is still an offense, but it is treated more like a parking ticket -- you would pay a fine if caught, but you would not get a criminal record. Under our parliamentary system -- particularly considering that we currently have a minority government (never mind what that means if you don't know. This discussion has already veered too far off topic) -- it is almost impossible for the bill to be reintroduced and passed before mid-October. So, when you come up here for COMMON (oh right, wasn't that what this discussion was supposed to be about?), well, you've been warned.

Comment

COMMON Questions

dave said: "I bet Sister Mary would say "you never paid attention"." Well, she did hit me on the knuckles once or twice with a ruler. But I'm never too old to learn new things. Here's a link to the its vs. it's. It appears that I'm eating crow for lunch! ;-) http://www.stormloader.com/garyes/its/#top chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

COMMON Questions

> Heck, I admit I'm wrong all the time now . Hey, I'm married too! Now say the man's prayer with me... I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess. (Red Green) --buck

Comment

COMMON Questions

Why is that so important to you? It's not important to me. ;-) Yeah, being right is never an issue on these lists . Joe

Comment

COMMON Questions

A heck, Dan, just save it for the next time I screw up...

Comment

COMMON Questions

Thanks Joe, Thomas, et al. who backed me up about the difference between its and it's. However, the sentence "It's hair is black" would expand ("it's" is really a MACRO, heh heh) to "It is hair is black", which doesn't make sense. Not really related to programming, but I guess people are interested. Oh well...even the MI discussion group (at midrangeonline.com) gets off-topic occasionally, as well). Rich

Comment

COMMON Questions

Rich said:
                  Not really related to programming, but I guess people are interested.
                  That's OK Rich. You might not have noticed after all of the rather bizarre twists and turns of this discussion, but programming would also be way off-topic in this particular forum. This was supposed to be in response to a column that I wrote, called COMMON Questions, which was primarily a light-hearted look at Toronto, the scene of the fall COMMON conference this year. I'm still exceptionally confused about how we got here.

Comment

COMMON Questions

I'm still exceptionally confused about how we got here. I took a taxi. I think the guy ripped me off. Speaking of which, I still can't find my glasses. You'd think somebody around here could mix a decent margarita, but NOOOOOOO, the magnolias are never ripe! I hate fixodent. Joe Editor's Note: Joe has once again been shellacking in a poorly ventilated area. Pay no attention.

Comment

COMMON Questions

Now I'M confused. I thought this was the "Argument Room". I've been wasting my time AGAIN! I think I'll stroll down the hall to the "Abuse Room" for a while.... -dan

Comment

COMMON Questions

Welcome to the Department of Redundancy Department...

Comment

COMMON Questions

** This thread discusses the article: COMMON Questions **
                          ** This thread discusses the Content article: COMMON Questions **

Comment

COMMON Questions

Joel, I'm surprised you didn't include in your article the difference between seeing Niagara Falls from the U.S. side and seeing it from the Canadian side...especially since the Canadian side is much better! 'Splain it in response to this post.

Comment

COMMON Questions

The Canadian side is so much better than the American side that I didn't want to rub it in. How can you even compare the two? The only advantage of the American side is that, I suspect, although I'm not sure, the lines for the Maid of the Mist are probably shorter on the American side. P.S.: If you want to see the falls while visiting COMMON, the Canadian side is only about one and a half hour's drive from Toronto. (It takes a little longer to get to the American side because you have to cross the border. Then again, why would you want to?)

Comment

COMMON Questions

Joel, I went to the Canadian side the last time COMMON was in Toronto. And, I hate to burst a bubble but I gotta say it's just a waterfall. Didn't send chills up my spine like Yosemite Valley or Zion or sunset in Maui. Sorry. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Joel Klebanoff" wrote in message news:6b16d121.1@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > The Canadian side is so much better than the American side that I didn't want to rub it in. How can you even compare the two? The only advantage of the American side is that, I suspect, although I'm not sure, the lines for the Maid of the Mist are probably shorter on the American side. > > P.S.: If you want to see the falls while visiting COMMON, the Canadian side is only about one and a half hour's drive from Toronto. (It takes a little longer to get to the American side because you have to cross the border. Then again, why would you want to?)

Comment

Working...
                                X