Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COMMON Questions

** This thread discusses the article: COMMON Questions **
    Chuck, I've got to agree with you. It is just a waterfall. Of course, Grand Canyon is just a deep, long ditch. I too think that Yosemite and Zion are beautiful (although I prefer Bryce Canyon to Zion). I've never seen Maui at sunset or any other time, so I can't comment. But, I do think that Niagara Falls is a great falls. Am I alone on this or does anyone else out there agree with me? Joel

Comment

COMMON Questions

I was awed by the falls. But I like Bryce better. And Zion. And the Badlands and the Olympic Rain Forrest, Grand Canyon, Okeefenokee Swamp, and of course Yellowstone, and ..... We got a pretty cool country. -dan

Comment

COMMON Questions

Dan said:
        We got a pretty cool country
        No argument there Dan, but I'm glad that you were also awed by the falls. I'm pretty impressed by it as well.

Comment

COMMON Questions

Niagara Falls is just a waterfall. The CN Tower (not the "CNN Tower") is just a tall piece of concrete. The new OCAD building is just some weird looking building on stilts. Kensington Market is just some run of the mill open-air shopping district. No, there's nothing special about Toronto and area, so best just shuffle between hotel and convention centre and don't bother with the rest of the city. It's all under construction anyways. ;-) (BTW, visit Niagara just after a snow storm, and the Falls really becomes soemthing worth seeing. But of course, it hardly ever snows in southern Ontario.) q

Comment

COMMON Questions

qm: Thanks. I take it you're another Torontonian. You forgot to mention that city hall is just a curved building. St. Lawrence Market is just a few food sellers in a building. The Toronto islands are just some parks in the water. What have I forgotten?

Comment

COMMON Questions

I should have mentioned that I agree the Falls are must more awesome from the Canadian side. Another wonderful place (maybe awesome is not the word for this place, maybe peaceful?) is Lake Louise, hiking up to the lodge near the glacier for tea. Another of my favorite places in America is the entire Bay of Fundy area. We got a pretty cool continent. -dan

Comment

COMMON Questions

qm said: "No, there's nothing special about Toronto and area, so best just shuffle between hotel and convention centre and don't bother with the rest of the city. " While I originally posted the "just a waterfall" comment, I'll disagree with you about Toronto. Toronto is one of the cleanest cities I've ever visited. The transportation and the underground tunnels between buildings is impressive. The thing I like the most as a visitor to Toronto, however, is the people. Very friendly and warm. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

COMMON Questions

In response to qm's comment ("No, there's nothing special about Toronto and area, so best just shuffle between hotel and convention centre and don't bother with the rest of the city.") Chuck said:
                  I'll disagree with you about Toronto.
                  Given qm's words that preceded his "No, there's nothing special about Toronto ..." comment, I'm assuming that qm was being sarcastic. Chuck also said:
                  The thing I like the most as a visitor to Toronto, however, is the people. Very friendly and warm.
                  Aw shucks, Chuck. You like us. You really like us. Thanks! I'm not sure that the city is still as clean as you remember it, but I still like my home town. (Except for maybe that winter thing.) Thanks again for your kind words.

Comment

COMMON Questions

Dan, I think that Lake Louise qualifies for both an awesome and peaceful rating. You also said:
                    Another of my favorite places in America is the entire Bay of Fundy area.
                    I assume that you meant in "North America". The last time I checked, almost all of the Bay of Fundy lies in Canada, between the Canadian provinces of Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. Or did I miss an American invasion of Canada. I've got to stop taking so many naps -- you miss so much. While we're talking about beautiful spots in North America, I'll throw in most of the Pacific Coast Highway in California. In particular, while it doesn't qualify as truly awesome, I'm very fond of a small California state park just south of Carmel called Point Lobos. In short, you are right Dan, we have a pretty cool continent. Then again, I really like Paris, Amsterdam, Florence and Venice. And, Switzerland has some mountains that certainly deserve a rating of exceptionally awesome. Other than Heathrow, I've only been to London once and that was a long time ago, but I seem to remember being impressed with that city as well. I'm sure that there are other places in Europe that I will be enthralled with when I finally get to see them. I've never been to Asia or Australia, but I have no doubt that if I ever do visit that part of the globe, I will find much to delight me there as well. Come to think of it, we have a pretty cool planet -- if people would just stop blowing up bits of it and despoiling the bits that they don't blow up.

Comment

COMMON Questions

Actually I was NOT saying "America" refering to "USA", I was refering to America as in North America and South America. America. Or maybe I should have said "The Americas". I have a pet peave about people here in the USA refering to the USA as America. It's not. We in the USA are Americans. Just as you in Canada are Americans. And people in Brazil. So, when I was talking about the Bay of Fundy, I was definately meaning Canada. But I was saying that it's one of my most favorite places in the entire Western Hemisphere. The Lauterbrunen (sp?) valley and the Jungfrau (again sp?) peak in Switzerland together makes about the most spectacular place I've ever been as far as nature. I'd live to go back. Last time was 1974. For man made wonders, I'd have to say Kyoto, Japan. But I've never been to any of the rest of the East. -dan

Comment

COMMON Questions

Joel: Guilty. It takes one Torontonian to recognize another. I've lived most of my life in this city. I move away but keep getting dragged back here. Many Americans visit Toronto because it's familiar and safe. It's different but comfortably like home. But if that's how the tourists feel they might just as well stay at home, in my not so humble opnion. To those thinking of coming: IF you want to see superaltives in this city, you may well be disappointed. For great architecture, visit New York or Chicago. For art and culture, visit pretty much any city in Europe. TO has little of that. And many Torontonians are happy of that. No, to see the "REAL" Toronto, you have to go off the beaten path. Skip that ugly phallic symbol. Forget that neighbouring "womb" and the Eaton Centre. (It really is JUST a shopping mall!) Instead, wander through the streets and neighbourhoods. Stroll along Queen West and Chinatown. Wander through the Kensignton Market and along College Street. Perambulate through LIttle Italy and Bloor Street. Point and stare at the beautiful people in Yorkville. Lunch in Little India. Dine on the Danforth. Jog on the boardwalk along the Beach or hike through the ravines. It doens't matter where - whaterver you discover on your own, becomes your own private experience. And when your feets get tired, just hop on the nearest TTC bus, streetcar or subway train. After all this, maybe then you'll grok this city. q PS: When we meet at COMMON, we can share our stories of discovery.

Comment

COMMON Questions

Irregardless of technical word definitions, by common usage, the term "American" has come to mean citizien of the USA exclusively. I'm sure I'm nto the only Canuck offended by attempts (however well-meaning) to use teh term "American" to cover all the Americas. Many Americans have this crazy idea that Canadians are just like Americans. While on the surafce that may well be true. but deeper down, there are lots of differences. I won't go into detail, but if you do want to visit Toronto for COMMON, you would be well advised to leave your "BUSH-CHENEY" campaign buttons at home. You also may not want to read certain Toronto newspapers, lest you learn something about the world. (Another hint of the differences: Expect at least a few couples will take advanatge of their visit to Toronto COMMON to get married. ;-) q

Comment

COMMON Questions

Hey, QM? Are you TRYING to antagonize people? Comments like these, which categorize people with a broad brush and denigrate entire segments of the population for little more than their nationality or their voting record, are not welcome here at MC. Save them for Usenet, where trolling is a way of life. Anyway, I'd appreciate it if you take your inflammatory comments and post them on some less professional forum where such things are not condoned or even encouraged. They are definitely NOT condoned here. Joe P.S. "irregardless" is not a word, and Canadians are nowhere near as homogenous in their attitudes as you imply. The fact that Quebec regularly tries to secede should be proof enough of that.

Comment

COMMON Questions

I must admit that I have never thought of myself as "American" in the sense of being from "North or South America." I've always thought of myself as Canadian and I would probably POLITELY correct someone if they referred to me as American. (We Canadians are supposed to be polite. I have it on very good authority that they can take away our passport if we are not polite, so qm, please behave.) However, I do think that we should reserve the term "American" only for people from the United States because "United Statesian" just doesn't roll of the tongue the way "American" does. Joe, you are absolutely right. Canada is not homogeneous. In fact, if you take the time to walk around Toronto, you will probably find that it is one of the most heterogeneous cities in the world. As far as Bush/Cheney stickers go, I suspect that qm is close to the truth on that one. If Canada were the 51st state, polls suggest that Bush would lose it by a landslide. But, don't worry. I seriously doubt that you will be attacked if you do bring up your Bush/Cheney sticker to Toronto -- however people may look at you funny.

Comment

COMMON Questions

Joe: I'm not tryong to antogonize anyone - I'm simply pointing out a simple fact that the one thing that distinguishes Candadians from Americans is that Canadians are not Americans. There are of course many similarities. But the differences are significant. I'm not suggesting that one is better than the other - just that we are different. That's all. q PS: "Irregardless" may not be a word in your lexicon. But the fact that so many people use it means it is now definitely part of the ENglish language. Deal with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X