TechTip: Excel on the Fly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try here: Latest SQL2XLS Article And here is a link to his Latest Articles and Posts

Comment

I'm using these classes from within an ILE RPG application. If I run the RPG program normally, I receive the following error; RPG procedure XXXXXXX in program LIBRARY/XXXXXXX received Java exception "java.io.IOException:" when calling method "" with signature "(Ljava.io.InputStreamV" in class "org.apache.poi.poifs.filesystem.POIFSFileSystem". Here's the odd thing. When I run the ILE RPG program in debug, the error doesn't occur. Has anyone else experienced this? Can anyone give me any guidance on this?

Comment

Does this error occur only when you import an existing xls, or in any case ? Check the authorities to the directory you are reading from.

Comment

It happens when importing an existing XLS. The odd thing though is it's fine when I run it in debug mode. Otherwise I get the error.

Comment

Problem solved. Downloaded poi-2.5.1 and tried with that and now all is well.

Comment

spoke too soon... first time I ran it, it worked like a charm. Every time since then I get the error. Interactive or batch I get the same result

Comment

Mike, - make sure you are not using QDLS - check all the auth's - try with a brand new folder Incidentally are you using client access or another tool ? Do you run it locally or remotely ?

Comment

Not using QDLS. Using Client Access. Running locally.

Comment

I'm trying to use this new tool but having problems with the sql statement. The code is below with the error. Any suggestions.
                    Code

Comment

Check your sql syntax. For example the comma before the from clause, the join in not formulated correctly. I suggest you open a sql session (strsql) and you prcatice there. When you got your stmt running, copy/paste into sql2xls.

Comment

Thank you, I've been backing off commands to learn both SQL and the ticker logic. Friday I finally got past sql and ticker logic but got nailed on the java signature error and gave up. But I'm back at it again today. As you can tell, I'm a novice using rpgle. Any suggestions on the following: Additional Message Information Message ID . . . . . . : RNX0301 Severity . . . . . . . : 50 Message type . . . . . : Escape Date sent . . . . . . : 06/06/05 Time sent . . . . . . : 07:48:32 Message . . . . : Java exception received when calling Java method. Cause . . . . . : RPG procedure SQL2XLSR in program NS87849/SQL2XLSR received Java exception "java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/poi/hssf/usermodel/HSSFWorkbook" when calling method "" with signature "()V" in class "org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFWorkbook". Recovery . . . : Contact the person responsible for program maintenance to determine the cause of the problem. Technical description . . . . . . . . : If the exception indicates that the Java class was not found, ensure the class for the method is in the class path. If the exception indicates that the Java method was not found, check the method name and signature. If the signature is not correct, change the RPG prototype for the method, or change the Java method, so that the return type and parameter types match. You can determine the signatures for all the methods in class XYZ using command QSH CMD('javap -s XYZ'). More... Press Enter to continue. F3=Exit F6=Print F9=Display message details F12=Cancel F21=Select assistance level Thank you Todd Johnson MTSPUDGUN (Montana USA SPUDGUN)

Comment

When you get the error java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/poi/hssf/usermodel/HSSFWorkbook this means that you installed the poi .jar classes in the wrong directory. Before running the utility follow the setup steps including the crtjvapgm. Btw you should use the updated version of the command available with SQL2CSV and SQL2XML.

Comment

I'm getting the below error message when I try to use a template (from) xls with the SQL2XLS command in batch. Note that I can use a template xls interactively just fine. I only get the error in batch.
                            Code

Comment

Use the updated version that comes with the SQL2CSV and SQL2XML utilities. Or - better - use the java version SQL2JXl or SQL2POI.

Comment

Hi, I use the SQL2JXL on a V5R2 machine and it works very fine. Now, I have moved it to a V5R3 machine and always get "Error running SQL2JXL". I tried to find what's the problem, but the only thing I could find was the error message "ERROR: INTERNAL ERROR: Creation of DB2Driver object for registering with DriverManager failed." in the java-shell. The classpath mentioned in the RUNJVA-command is: CLASSPATH('/QIBM/ProdData/OS400/jt400/lib/jt400.jar:/excel:/excel/jxl.jar') Any idea what's wrong? Thank's for any help, Roman

Comment

Working...
                                X