Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TechTip: Excel on the Fly

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: Excel on the Fly **
    With CPYTOIMPF you create a .csv that's another thing. However there are free utilities in internet that allow you to create .csv with column headings.

Comment

One thing I noticed. When trying to move a newly created file with OPS Navigator, I get the message that the file is being used. I can map a drive and open the file with EXCEL. I can also save the file. But, OPS Nav thinks the file is being used.

Comment

If you have the folder in share, you can even delete it from windows explorer immediately after it has been created; from wrklink you can also delete it. I think it's only a problem of OPSnav.

Comment

Can anyone point me in the right direction for the free utilities to create column headings in CSV files? I really need this....thanks

Comment

Hi, can you give me the link to that free utilities, I know one software from http://www.goering.us call IXLSGEN but you have to buy it. We do have software that you can email DB2 to EXCEL with column heading with file type of .dif. Thanks

Comment

We have a couple of fields that have significant spaces before the data. This utility seems to trim both sides. Does anyone know how I could change it to only trimr?

Comment

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...=Google+Search look for www.as400pro.com (bookmark this one). Inside the links page will be a CSV link. This one works. look for techtarget.com tips. One is about a short program that adds headings, the other is an interesting csv creation using net.data. This approach is interactive (web page) but you could write pretty much whatever you want into the file. The midrange archive seems to have a thread or two regarding this subject as well, but the server is currently down.google search

Comment

Free? No, not that work well. My CPYTOCSV command uses my RPG ToolKit service program to copy an entire file to the IFS in CSV format, with column headings. Or you can call one of the CSV procedures included in the ToolKit directly from RPG IV and write out CSV "records" to the IFS from within RPG. Check it out at www.rpgiv.com/toolkit

Comment

OK, I'm one of those As/400 programmers who hasn't successfully made Java programs work on the AS/400, so I need a little help. What are the step by step processes for compiling JSQL2XLS so that it runs on the AS/400? (By the way, the "CRTJVAPGM CLSF(/excel/POI-2.0.jar)" took over 2 1/2 hours on my 150!!) Thanks in advance. Steve

Comment

I assume that you have the JSQL2XLS.java in /excel. STRQSH export -s CLASSPATH=/excel/:/QIBM/ProdData/OS400/Java400/ext/db2_classes.jar:/excel/POI-2.0.jar: javac /excel/JSQL2XLS.java java JSQL2XLS 'select * from MyFile' From cmdline just run: RUNJVA CLASS(JSQL2XLS) PARM('select * from MyFile') CLASSPATH('/excel/:/QIBM/ProdData/OS400/Java400/ext/db2_classes.jar:/excel/POI-2.0.jar:') Have fun !!

Comment

Try adding this code to close the file
                        Code

Comment

Try using substring instead of trim.
                          Code

Comment

Thanks, that seems to have done it! I did have to use the real name of the field Cell_Alfa instead of CellaAlfa.

Comment

Java is magic around our shop. It's so cool when it works, but we can't tell what to do with it when it doesn't. I compiled the java source following your instructions. When run from QSH...ERROR: Authorization failure on distributed database connection attempt. What now? Secondly...when it works...where will the xls be and what will be it's name?

Comment

Doh! For you other newbs! Use an editor to find the .java file. Look for the user and password. Change them. Find fileOut and change the directory/filename to where you want the output. Still getting the authorization error...

Comment

Working...
                                X