Effort To Keep in Touch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Effort To Keep in Touch

It's a list server (forum by e-mail) rather than a web based forum. It does have a web based component, however. Point your browser at http://www.midrange.com/ and see for yourself. Warning - it's a busy forum and you will get a lot of mail in your in basket. When I was working in Kazakstan and e-mail was my only contact with the outside world it was a real life saver. Dave...

Comment

Effort To Keep in Touch

... and a note for Richard Schoen of RJS Software Systems. David Gibbs kept midrange-l going for years entirely on his own initiative and at his own expense from, as far as I can tell, his bedroom in Chicago using whatever equipement he could beg or borrow. He's now one of the most respected figures in the iSeries community. Eric Kempter did more or less the same thing with JDEList, and nearly closed it several times due to general lack of interest. It's now a considerable web forum and list server with a strong reputation in the J.D. Edwards community. Neither of these guys took the attitude that they were doing the world a favour. They did it partly out of self interest - they started the list servers to help fill in gaps in their own knowledge - but mostly through sheer dogged determination. They didn't spam anybody else's group, either. Dave...

Comment

Effort To Keep in Touch

Kim Kuras Operations and Support Manager Dart Container Corporation Kim_Kuras@dartcontainer.com

Comment

Effort To Keep in Touch

I, too, consider it "Spam" and I've chosen to ignore the MULTITUDE of posts, considering them as mistakes (on SOMEONE's part...)
          However, I do appreciate someone taking initiative and throwing a life-preserver out to all of us. I, for one, have added RJS's news server to my list. Thank you, sir.
          Now, please stop with the "** FREE New Alternative..." postings.
          Dave

David Schopp Computers Unlimited 2407 Montana Ave Billings, MT 59102 v: (406) 255-9500 f: (406) 255-9693

I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Mr. Schoen, While it is admirable of RJS to create a forum for us, I, for one, DO NOT appreciate your spamming this forum to advertise it. One posting in Operations and/or Shooting the Breeze, would have been sufficient. This is exactly what people here have been complaing to you about over the past months. You seem to have a total disregard for us and are only interested in your business. I find your behavior replusive. Chris Scholbe

Comment

Effort To Keep in Touch

Jerry Hensley Sr. Developer Farm Credit Bank 6210 Highway 290 East Austin, TX 78723 Telephone: 512-465-0785 jerry.hensley@farmcreditbank.com

Comment

Effort To Keep in Touch

Mine is roberth@utdallas.edu Bob Hamilton

Comment

Effort To Keep in Touch

Hello Dave,
                I have used David Gibb's list server for many years. He has actually been around back from the days we used to use the old MRC BBS and Midrange BBS. I agree he is a well respected figure.
                If you don't thinkRJS providing a FREE newsgroup feature for the community will be useful, you can vote by not utilizing the newsgroups. Otherwise, point your news reader to forums.rjssoftware.com and move forward.
                Regards,
                Richard Schoen
                RJS Software Systems Inc.
                "The AS/400 Report and Data Delivery Experts"
                ... and a note for Richard Schoen of RJS Software Systems. David Gibbs kept midrange-l going for years entirely on his own initiative and at his own expense from, as far as I can tell, his bedroom in Chicago using whatever equipement he could beg or borrow. He's now one of the most respected figures in the iSeries community. Eric Kempter did more or less the same thing with JDEList, and nearly closed it several times due to general lack of interest. It's now a considerable web forum and list server with a strong reputation in the J.D. Edwards community. Neither of these guys took the attitude that they were doing the world a favour. They did it partly out of self interest - they started the list servers to help fill in gaps in their own knowledge - but mostly through sheer dogged determination. They didn't spam anybody else's group, either. Dave...

Comment

Effort To Keep in Touch

They didn't spam anybody else's group, either.

Depends upon your definition of spam. David, probably once a month, would post an advertisement about his list to comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc . Bill

Comment

Effort To Keep in Touch

Mark McCall Spokane, WA markmccall@sprintmail.com

Comment

Effort To Keep in Touch

Brian Singleton San Diego, CA brian@bsing.com

Comment

Effort To Keep in Touch

Michael Haston michael.j.haston@saint-gobain.com

Comment

Effort To Keep in Touch

Rica Arevalo - rarevalo@eu.saralee.com

Comment

Effort To Keep in Touch

Bill Robins

Comment

Effort To Keep in Touch

Ken Rokos SysAdmin/DBA/you-name-it MHCM 21045 Califa St. Woodland Hills, CA 91367 ken dot rokos at mhcm dot com

Comment

Effort To Keep in Touch

Sounds good to me. tom.masters@emersontransportation.com

Comment

Working...
                                X