Effort To Keep in Touch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Effort To Keep in Touch

Please go easy on Richard unless someone is going to step up to the plate and provide this service who doesn't have their own busines. Second we have to avoid fragmenting this group and losing the momentum this forum has for us as professionals and the AS400. Someone taking over this forum and adding a webzine is the ticket or we all should just agree to move to NEWS400. http://www.as400network.com/

Comment

Effort To Keep in Touch

The folks at News/400 are good people & I've got nothing against them or their site, except that their site costs money & I would prefer to participate in a site that doesn't. Unless I'm mistaken. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Effort To Keep in Touch

I just poked around a bit in the Yahoo clubs and found 5 of them. I couldn't go into them at the moment because the site is blocked, but I can bug the administrator about it. Here's a list of the clubs' membership and names: 43 as400 41 as400hardware - looks to be mostly ads 113 as400support 95 os400 54 as400matters If you're a subscriber to News/400, you can access the whole site. We have only 1 subscriber at our company, but we can all log in using his profile. A profile can only be logged on one at a time, though, so two people from the same company can't be there at the same time. If it tells you you're already logged on, you can close the existing logon and log on again. This usually happens here if someone visits it and forgets to log out. They also don't have an "all forums" view, I think.

Comment

Effort To Keep in Touch

Ted, The forums at News/400 are available for free. You do have to register, I think it's called an Associate Member, but it doesn't cost anything. You will be unable to access some things at the site but the forums are in the free part. I don't like their forum as much as the Midrange Computing one but it is still pretty good. Scott Mildenberger

Comment

Effort To Keep in Touch

It sure is. Thanks for the info, Wayne. Ralph

Comment

Effort To Keep in Touch

Thanks for the correction, Wayne. I wasn't sure what was free & what wasn't. I appreciate it, & your post was by no means inappropriate.

Comment

Effort To Keep in Touch

How about adding a "Shooting the Breeze" section over at as400network.com? Many of us MC Forum folks like to just sort of mouth off in general and without thinking about what technical category it might possibly fit in. Who knows, we might enjoy discussing the good old MC Forum days, but at least you'd be getting a good chance to win us over. I for one suspect that you folks are a little more formal than what we're used to.

Comment

Effort To Keep in Touch

Joe Hertvik Somewhere outside Chicago mailto:hertvik@home.com

Comment

Effort To Keep in Touch

Shannon O'Donnell Counting spots on the wall in Illinois.... orion@auburnctnet.com

Comment

Effort To Keep in Touch

In fact...if anyone is looking for a seasoned RPGIV programmer (or a so-so Java programmer, or someone to get you going on WebFacing) to do some telecommuting contractual work, give me a call! I haven't yet decided what I'll do now that MC has gone to that great magazine graveyard in the sky, but while I'm deciding, I've decided to reopen my consulting business on a more full-time basis. If you are interested, you can contact me at: Shannon O'Donnell orion@auburnctnet.com 217.438.6572

Comment

Effort To Keep in Touch

Wayne Madden wrote: > You make an excellent point. We used to have one, but I think it was > so poorly named that no one found it. I'll look into this and let you > know if that's something we can do. We moderate the other forums but I > don't see the real need to moderate it if we make it clear it's a > general discussion area. We'll just keep the spam out. It was called chit-chat, I think. That brings up another point. I do not use web-based discussion forums. They are too slow, take too much time. I prefer newsgroups. I did not participate on these MC forums until they became 'newsgroupable' (is that a new word?) I have tried the News/400 web forums multiple times and just can't stand it. It's too slow and inefficient. And it's not because I didn't want to make it work, I go way back on the News/400 BBS. We're talking long before they were moved to CIS even. Remember Newslink Express? Just my .02 worth. -- -Jeff The opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily the opinion of my company. Unless I say so.

Comment

Effort To Keep in Touch

"I'll look into this and let you know if that's something we can do." ------------------------------ Thanks Wayne.

Comment

Effort To Keep in Touch

Miss "Shooting the Breeze" and "Chitchatting" with Online Friends? (08/02/01) We've had suggestions to create a general discussion place like the Midrange Computing forums had. It made us nostalgic for the old Chitchat discussion group we used to run on our Newslink bulletin board. So now you can find old friends and new right here! Try out Shooting the Breeze, and let us know if you have any suggestions.

Comment

Effort To Keep in Touch

Here's my info. I was out of the country visiting other installations and came home to find this. What a bummer. Jack McGuigan MIS iSeries/400 Technical Support Manager ALICO (American Life Insurance Co) Phone (302) 594-2209 Fax (302) 594-2209 Email jack.mcguigan@aig.com

Comment

Effort To Keep in Touch

Henry Wu - hlw400@yahoo.com Programmer/Analyst Warner/Chappell Music Inc. 10585 Sata Monic Bl. Los Angeles, CA 90025

Comment

Working...
                                X