Netserver: A tale of woe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Does your -a screen list the name correctly?" Yes, mine shows correctly. The document that I got the NBTSTAT command from talks about 'dirty' cache and says to use the -R option to reload cache. Are we talking about the NT box or the 98 box? (BTW - NBT (as in NBTSTAT) is NetBios over TCP/IP.) "Is there a specific TCP service that needs to accompany the netserver start? (NFS, TFTP, etc.)" None that I know of (if you discount STRTCPSVR *NETSRV). Are either of these machines laptops? Are they on the same network segment as the 400? Steve

Comment

Bill - "Is there a specific TCP service that needs to accompany the netserver start? (NFS, TFTP, etc.)" Check QSYSOPR for Netserver initialization message. Also, the QSERVER subsystem must be running (verify that you have QZLSSERVER job running if Netserver is started). Steve+

Comment

Steve, Yep, it's the same regardless of whether NT or 98, as/400 profile or guest. I just picked up the redbook for netserver. Most of it I have seen in other sources, but I am going to go back over the setup chapters and basically start from the beginning. Bill

Comment

For closure: Looks like the problem was that I had specified Code Page 37 and that made it incompatible (for some reason). I found one document on the web which had an example set up with code page 0, which means "use te PC's default". Soon as I changed this, stopped and started again, it popped right up on the find computer screen. Note: this probably explains why I had garbage as the server name on one of the nbtstat command problem noted earlier. Now as I look at Chapter 2 of the NetServer Manual, there is this note on the use of the code page: "Under some cirumstances, particularly on non-US AS/400 systems, a code page value of 0 causes AS/400 NetServer to send invalid datagrams to the network browser service. The following problem has been encountered: Due to invalid datagrams, AS/400 NetServer does not register correctly with the browser service and, as a result, will not show up in Windows Network Neighborhood. To solve this problem, enter an appropriate code page ID. " Thanks everyone for your help. Bill

Comment

Working...
          X