Musicality in the Programming Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave - I've never had that opportunity, but I've been to a few where I wished they were perfoming 4'33'. Bill

Comment

Mike, I have to disagree with the statement of "Religious prejudice". Although Chris may base his remarks on his religion, I did not take it that he was bashing any specific 'brand' of music. In my own Southern Baptist upbringing, the convention sees dancing as an improper act. That did not stop me from dancing. There are certain things I won't dance to, such as any music which makes light of or encourages breaking the law, beating women, or murder. I allow my son to listen to RAP music as that is his generations 'thing', but I am extremely careful that he purchase ONLY the edited versions and explain to him the misconception that gangsters love you better than your parents, that's why they beat you when you join. Yes, I do believe the impending doom is brought out by supernatural forces and that the ethics we see on TV, the movies and the music we hear are definately influenced. I don't proselytize (preach) but there are some things that may fall under freedom of expression, which are downright immoral and should not. Just one of the many personal convictions that guarantee that I'll never hold public office. -bret

Comment

OK, so, if the statement that "demons are influencing most of popular music" is an acceptable and non goofy overgeneralization, then I have nothing further to say. I still have hope that we can appreciate each others' musical tastes and not make self righteous statements as to what constitutes good music. Each generation listens to music that drives their parents nuts.

Comment

Mike, Yes every generation does listen to music that drives their parents nuts. I was not exception. My mother liked Jazz, my father was and still is a hardcore country western fan. I grew up with Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, Rush, etc. I cannot say that every bit of music is influenced by good or evil. That would be a predjudiced statement. Some writers just have a propensity for writing poor lyrics and bad music. You are not wrong in your statement. This IMHO is not the right place to preach, but it is certainly the right place to make a personal statement about the topic at hand. While I agree with the nature of your statement (as I perceive it) I do find it funny that the only way to have freedom of expression and tolerance is to make comments and laws to infringe on their views. This however is not the place, IMHO, to discuss the matter. If you would like to continue with this, and I hope you do, my personal e-mail is sgtmyrick@hotmail.com and I may express my opinions there, but I don't attempt to convert or make comments (not that you have) that belittle other's beliefs. -bret

Comment

Whoa! Where can I get info on the George Martin show?

Comment

I'd like to share my experiences of math and music if I may. I found many similarities in my own life. I played the saxophone for 8 years before I went to college for computer science. I had to stop playing after high school because it belonged to the school. Coincidentally, I've been programming as a professional for 8 years, as well. I've always wanted to play again but couldn't justify the expense. This past Christmas my girlfriend gave me a saxophone. For a college programming project, I created an algorithm to determine the best possible "fit" of a given number of songs of different lengths for a certain length of tape. Using a mathematical formula, the program calculated every possible combination and kept the one with the least amount of dead air at the end of the tape without going over. Now I find myself coding these days with headphones on. It's like I have the door closed and I can be more productive. I'm not distracted by the office conversations and crank out code. P.S. I find the whole Napster story amazing. It's amazing what an 18 year old college drop out can do.

Comment

Hello Jim, The digital cable channel in which case that I observed this production on was named 'Ovation'. The actual name of the show is 'Rythrym of Life'. This program is jam packed with rich content, covering music theory, music practice, the people, the gear, and the inspiration(s) that composes music. At one segment within the program, Sir George expounds upon his interpretation of a sort of pre-digital analog sampling device named a 'Melatron'. Each key on this devices keyboard would trigger an analog tape loop correlating to whichever sound source that the 'Melatron' happened to be wired for at the moment. Simply fascinating !!!!!!

Comment

I still have hope that we can appreciate each others' musical tastes and not >make self righteous statements
                  What a cop-out. You've done nothing but thrash me since I wrote 'my' opinion and I'm the bad guy. What bugs me most about liberal thinkers is that they usually paint others with the colors of themselves. BTW - at what point did I make a 'self' righteous statement. I hold an opinion about the inspriation of music. Some belongs to God, some belongs to demons and some is just music that people make all by themselves. You don't even know me, have little information about me and you declare me the prejudiced self-righteous one. To prejudge would be to declare ALL music of a certain type as bad. I never did that. You want a prejudiced statement? OK - you're an ass!!!

Comment

I still have hope that we can appreciate each others' musical tastes and not >make self righteous statements
                    What a cop-out. You've done nothing but thrash me since I wrote 'my' opinion and I'm the bad guy. What bugs me most about liberal thinkers is that they usually paint others with the colors of themselves. BTW - at what point did I make a 'self' righteous statement. I hold an opinion about the inspriation of music. Some belongs to God, some belongs to demons and some is just music that people make all by themselves. You don't even know me, have little information about me and you declare me the prejudiced self-righteous one. To prejudge would be to declare ALL music of a certain type as bad. I never did that. You want a prejudiced statement? OK - you're an ass!!!

Comment

Gentlemen, We welcome your participation, but please take any personal disagreements of this nature elsewhere, to help preserve this forum as an exchange of information for technical professionals. There are many other discussion groups on the web specifically for this type of dialogue, and, as suggested by Bret, private email is also available. Please do not continue posting on this subthread. Thank you. Brian Singleton Midrange Computing

Comment

Bill Robins said: An interesting note the counselor told my friend and I was that they were noticing a strong correlation between musical ability and programming ability. They hypothesised that they both required translating symbols. I was the antithesis to that hypothesis, but there's always an exception. I thought I'd move this over here, since it's a little out of the realm of applications (though perhaps not too much). I've always found that musical aptitude and programming aptitude are often present in the same individual. And IMO musical aptitude doesn't necessarily translate directly to the ability to play an instrument: some people sing, some people dance, some people simply close their eyes and smile softly when a good song comes on. Just the ability to APPRECIATE music often indicates a propensity for programming. However, I don't think it has anything to do with symbols. Instead, I believe it has to do with pattern matching. The ability to sense patterns within abstract mental constructs is a requirement both for music (especially Western music) and programming. And the ability to distill pieces of music distinctly from within an overall composition is very similar to the skill set required to distill a logic rule or an object from a general busines requirement. Joe

Comment

Working...
                        X